Rise in funding activity and the healthcare industry’s inclination toward newer technologies are the factors responsible for the growth of the printed electronics market in the healthcare industry. In the long run, the costs are anticipated to decline owing to the growing competition and emerging presence of multiple players. Printed electronics offers the user with photonic devices and printed electronics on various kinds of substrates; the printing technologies in use include, rotogravure, flexography, screen, digital and lithography. These techniques use ink to print on substrates, such as cloth, paper, and plastics. This method of printing is widely used on wearable devices, by the sports industry, and for flexible screens, among others. In addition, the healthcare sector has profited from the latest developments in materials for printed electronics, ranging from integrated Nano scale sensors, electronics and microfluidics, to sophisticated synthetics. Moreover, innovations and high adoption among the consumers have led to the development of even more stretchable, flexible, and conformal biosensors for use in medical monitoring, diagnostics, and drug delivery.
Evolvement of Digital Print Technology to Drive the Growth
The digital print technology is making strong inroads into the printed electronics market at a much faster pace, due to its cost-effectiveness and professional high-quality printing in the healthcare sector. The rapid ascension of digital print technology has made the printed electronics market more sophisticated, thus, increasing the adoption of printed electronics, globally. Versatility and flexibility, coupled with high graphic standards, are the key growth features of the digital print technology.
Products, such as UV inkjet and water-based inkjet, are making their way into the market. The UV digital inkjet color presses are capable of producing high densities and finer dots, with faster speeds, and are propelling the growth of the digital printing technology market, which, in turn, is driving the printed electronics in healthcare market
Stretchable Electronics to Witness the Highest Growth
Stretchable electronics, also known as soft electronics, have witnessed an increased adoption in the healthcare industry, owing to their ability to bend, stretch, and twist easily to mold into the shape of the required object, such as implantable devices, and their capability of transferring data from and to computers and smartphones. It is used in different forms, such as thin, tattoo-like electronics that can be directly mounted onto the skin (such as sensors of physiological health) and physically flexible electronics that can be implanted into the body (such as post-surgery monitoring devices). With the growing need for real-time monitoring, particularly, of patients with critical conditions, as well as health-condition monitoring and management in military and sports, this segment has witnessed a robust growth.
Asia-Pacific is the Largest Market
Latest technological breakthroughs have assisted the advancement of new printed electronics that can make the overall processes more efficient and can significantly improve accuracy in various applications. There have been a series of new product launches and mergers & acquisitions in Asia-Pacific to take advantage of this opportunity. The major driver behind the investments has been the continuous evolution and application of new technologies to unlock enormous volumes that were previously considered non-commercial. With these series of investments, cardiology, sensor, and diagnostics applications in Asia-Pacific are set to boom over the next five years.
Key Developments in the Market
- January 2018 - The international exhibition, and conference for the printed electronics industry, LOPEC, will be held in March 2018 to provide information on state-of-the-art technologies, trends, and new markets for printed electronics.
- October 2017 - Nissha USA, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nissha Co. Ltd, announced purchase agreement between its subsidiary Si-Cal Technologies, Inc. and GSI Technologies, LLC, acquiring the latter’s printed electronics business. Through this acquisition, it aims to further expand its product lineup and customer base, improve its production efficiency, and accelerate growth in the printed electronics market.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analysis of how the evolving of digital print technology is changing market scenario
- Analysis of various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The type of electronics that is expected to dominate the market
- The regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
1.4 Key Findings of the Study
2. Research Approach and Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Factors Driving the Market
4.2.1 Low Cost of Manufacturing
4.2.2 Evolvement of Digital Print Technology
4.3 Factors Restraining the Market
4.3.1 Heavy Regulations in Medical Industry
4.3.2 Lack of Standardization across Different Geographies
4.4 Industry Attractiveness – Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products or Services
4.4.5 Competitive Rivalry among Existing Competitors
4.5 Industry Policies
5. Technology Snapshot
5.1 Printing Technologies
5.1.1 Inkjet Printing
5.1.3 Gravure Printing
5.1.4 Digital Printing
6. Global Printed Electronics Market in Healthcare Segmentation
6.1 By Type
6.1.1 Stretchable Electronics
6.1.2 Foldable Electronics
6.2 By Geography
6.2.1 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
6.2.4 Rest of the World
220.127.116.11 Latin America
18.104.22.168 Middle East & Africa
7. Competitive Intelligence – Company Profiles
7.1 DowDuPont Inc.
7.2 Vista Medical Ltd
7.3 Bebop Sensors Inc.
7.4 Sensor Tex
7.5 Polymatech Japan Co. Ltd
8. Investment Analysis
9. Future of the Printed Electronics Market in Healthcare Industry