The world has entered the era of the Code War where every digital device, however small and innocuous, can be “weaponised” - as the recent Dyn cyber-attack aptly illustrated - to send “rogue code” deep into the Internet's engine room to create mayhem.
Cybersecurity is critical to almost every business. Yet it is a non-core competence for most boards. The frequency of high profile corporate data breaches may accelerate because CEOs are not sufficiently trained in cyber risks.
Almost every cyber-breach is an “inside job” - whether malicious or accidental - so real-time behavioural analytics is becoming increasingly important as a defense.
Insidt this report, we look at the evolution, nature, growth in cybersecurity technologies and threat.
- This report is part of the ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by the “thematic engine”.
- About the Thematic Research Ecosystem
- The author has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, the author’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, the author tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in the author’s “thematic engine” help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. The 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. The thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Single Theme report, offering in-depth research into a specific theme. It identifies winners and losers based on technology leadership, market position and other factors.
- The thematic investment research product, supported by the thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- The unique differentiator, compared to all rival thematic research houses, is that the thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
Changing nature of cyber threats
Evolution of key cybersecurity technologies
Industry growth drivers
Corporate governance trends
Wider industry trends
Where does cybersecurity sit in the Big Data value chain?
What are the key cybersecurity technologies?
Unified threat management
Deception based cyber defences (subset of AI)
Behavioural analytics (subset of AI)
Security information and event management
Mobile security (subset of endpoint security)
Managed security services
Post-breach consultancy services
Which of these cyber technologies are the most important?
Today’s cybersecurity paradigm
Deep learning as a cybersecurity solution
Rest of world
Industry size and growth forecasts
PUBLIC COMPANIES LIST
Who’s who in scorecard
The NIST framework
APPENDIX: “THEMATIC” RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- BAE Systems
- Barracuda Networks
- Check Point Software
- Cheetah Mobile
- Cyberark Software
- F5 Networks
- HP Enterprise
- Micro Focus
- Mobile Iron
- Nice Systems
- Palo Alto Networks
- Trend Micro
- Verint Systems