Blockchain is an electronic ledger of transactions that are continuously maintained in blocks of records. The ledgers are jointly held and run by all participants. Coupled with cryptographic security, this makes them tamper-proof. In a world where computer code is trusted more than human-run operations - especially amongst tech-savvy, urban Millennials - blockchain is a concept whose time has begun.
Most blockchain projects are still in development mode. Many are still in proof of concept stage.
In this report we look into trends, value chain, time line and industry ananlysis of blockchain along with the key players associated with it.
- This report is part of the ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by the “thematic engine”.
- About the Thematic Research Ecosystem
- The author has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, the author’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, the author tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in the author’s “thematic engine” help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. The 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. The thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Single Theme report, offering in-depth research into a specific theme. It identifies winners and losers based on technology leadership, market position and other factors.
- The thematic investment research product, supported by the thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- The unique differentiator, compared to all rival thematic research houses, is that the thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
Blockchain industry trends
Blockchain use case trends
Financial services platforms
Commercial blockchains are at least five years away
Scalability could be the biggest problem
What are the primary use cases for blockchain technology?
Internet of Things transactions
Digital fiat currencies
Disrupting the banks
Winners and losers in the payments sector
How has blockchain technology developed over the last decade?
How does blockchain work?
APPENDIX: “THEMATIC” RESEARCH METHODOLOGY