Apple, Alphabet, Facebook, Microsoft, Alibaba and Amazon have all grown to their current size by dominating the most profitable bits of the digital communications value chain as it has evolved. In its next reincarnation, AI will be the technology platform that reaps the biggest rewards.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) refers to software-based systems that use data inputs to make decisions on their own. The key technologies behind it are machine learning coupled with natural user interfaces, such as voice recognition.
Inside this report, we will look at the effect of artificial intelligence in the investment landscape and identifying winners and losers.
- This report is part of the ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by the “thematic engine”.
- About the Thematic Research Ecosystem
- The author has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, the author’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, the author tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in the author’s “thematic engine” help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. The 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. The thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Single Theme report, offering in-depth research into a specific theme. It identifies winners and losers based on technology leadership, market position and other factors.
- The thematic investment research product, supported by the thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- The unique differentiator, compared to all rival thematic research houses, is that the thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
AI could impact investors in three ways
Investors could value companies on the strength of their AI assets
Investors themselves may rely more on AI within their research process
Investors may be sucked into the war for AI talent
The power behind deep learning
Machine learning in the cloud
Ten categories of AI software
Market size and growth forecasts
AI leaders in the US
AI leaders in China
AI leaders in Japan
APPENDIX: “THEMATIC” RESEARCH METHODOLOGY