Millennials were ‘digital’ as defined by the discrete electronic tasks they performed on laptops, iPods or mobile handsets. Generation Hashtag, by contrast, is ‘born digital’. Generation Hashtag has never seen a world without the Internet.
They were born into smartphones, social media and the sharing economy. They are technology reliant, hyper-aware and extremely demanding. They are the first generation not to have to read or typed using a computer. For them, it is a world of touch screens filled with constellations of online apps.
Inside this report we look at the trends, industrial analysis, investment implications and indentify winners and losers.
- This report is part of the ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by the “thematic engine”.
- About the Thematic Research Ecosystem
- The author has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, the author’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, the author tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in the author’s “thematic engine” help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. The 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. The thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Multi-Theme report, covering all stocks, all sectors and all themes, giving readers a strong sense of how everything fits together and how conflicting themes might interact with one another.
- The thematic investment research product, supported by the thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- The unique differentiator, compared to all rival thematic research houses, is that the thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
UNDERSTANDING THE GENERATIONAL DIFFERENCES
THE ASCENDANCY OF GENERATION HASHTAG
The vast majority of Millennials have yet to enter the digital world
The younger Millennials are part of Generation Hashtag
Generation Hashtag is the global precariat
Generation Hashtag thinks and acts differently
Generation Hashtag is expected to be a bigger investment theme in India than in China
Impact on the media sector
Impact on the smartphone sector
Impact on the semiconductor sector
COMPANY WATCH LIST
APPENDIX: “THEMATIC” RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- American Tower
- Just Eat
- Rocket Internet
- Under Armour