After 20 years of torpor, key parts of Japan’s technology industry have been woken up by the rise of China, competition from Asian emerging markets, an ageing population and sagging productivity. Under Shinzo Abe’s leadership, Japanese business is starting to develop a ‘risk-on’, technologically innovative culture.
This report researches the state and thrust of Japan’s leading technology companies over the next five years and what it implies for global technology investors against the backdrop of Japan’s still risk averse, thrifty, rigidly conservative culture.
- This report is part of the ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by the “thematic engine”.
- About the Thematic Research Ecosystem
- The author has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, the author’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, the author tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in the author’s “thematic engine” help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. The 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. The thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Multi-Theme report, covering all stocks, all sectors and all themes, giving readers a strong sense of how everything fits together and how conflicting themes might interact with one another.
- The thematic investment research product, supported by the thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- The unique differentiator, compared to all rival thematic research houses, is that the thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
JAPAN THROUGH A CONTRARIAN LENS
JAPAN AND THE INDUSTRIES OF THE FUTURE
High performance computing
Smart electric vehicles
JAPAN TECH SECTOR SCORECARD
APPENDIX: “THEMATIC” RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- Harmonic Drive
- Japan Display
- Kawasaki Heavy
- Mitsubishi Electric
- Nachi Fujikoshi
- Nippon Ceramic
- Nitto Denko
- NTT Data
- NTT DoCoMo
- Seiko Epson
- Square Enix
- Start Today
- Tokyo Electron
- Trend Micro
- Yahoo! Japan