Technology themes: artificial intelligence, voice, ad fraud, ad blocking, ad effectiveness, video ads, programmatic ad buying, ecommerce, virtual & augmented reality, social influencers and Internet TV.
Regulatory themes: net neutrality, data privacy, Brexit, tax avoidance, copyright and various regulatory edicts across the world. Macro-economic themes: Generation Hashtag, fake news, unsavoury content and M&A.
This report looks at key investment themes which could impact the advertising sector and identifying winners and losers.
- This report is part of the ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by the “thematic engine”.
- About the Thematic Research Ecosystem
- The author has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, the author’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, the author tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in the author’s “thematic engine” help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. The 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. The thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Sector Scorecard, which aims to identify overall winners and losers in a sector based on all themes impacting that specific sector.
- The thematic investment research product, supported by the thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- The unique differentiator, compared to all rival thematic research houses, is that the thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
Who’s who and best ideas
Performance of advertising sector against the broader TMT space
Performance of the individual advertising companies
APPENDIX: “THEMATIC” RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- Alliance Data Systems
- Angie's List
- Clear Channel
- Clear Media
- JC Decaux
- Lamar Advertising
- M&C Saatchi
- Outfront Media
- Rocket Fuel
- Rubicon Project
- Trade Desk
- Tremor Video