Most incumbent car makers believe that today’s semi-autonomous cars will evolve incrementally. By 2020, GM, Tesla, Daimler and Volvo expect their cars to be able to take control of discrete driving tasks - such as motorway driving - but allow the driver to retain overall control.
By contrast, Google is betting on a more disruptive strategy. By 2020, Google expects its fully autonomous robot car - which has no steering wheel or pedals - to be commercially available. Ford has a similar strategy.
In this report, we look at Autonomous vehicles, its players, trends, industry analysis, value chain, and valuation.
- This report is part of the ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by the “thematic engine”.
- About the Thematic Research Ecosystem
- The author has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, the author’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, the author tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in the author’s “thematic engine” help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. The 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. The thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Single Theme report, offering in-depth research into a specific theme. It identifies winners and losers based on technology leadership, market position and other factors.
- The thematic investment research product, supported by the thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- The unique differentiator, compared to all rival thematic research houses, is that the thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
The story of the autonomous vehicle so far
Car makers are aiming for different levels of vehicle autonomy
Investors could see three phases within the AV technology cycle
AV’S: WHERE THE TECH SECTOR INVADES THE AUTOS INDUSTRY
The Autonomous Vehicle is an important investment theme
Many advanced technologies could be deployed at scale
In-Car Digital Life Services
APPENDIX: “THEMATIC” RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- Samsung Electronics
- Tesla Motors
- Texas Instruments