Before we look at the big themes, let us first put things into perspective by glancing at the share price performance of Ecommerce companies relative to other Internet & media sectors and relative to the S&P 500 index. Over the last two and half years, the S&P 500 index has increased by 16%. During that period, equal-weighted index of the leading Ecommerce stocks has risen by 18%. Meanwhile, social media stocks have risen by 4%; digital marketing stocks have fallen by 23%; traditional advertisers have risen by 10%, music, film and TV companies have fallen by 7%; and publishers have risen by 7%.
In this report, we look at the key investment themes that will impact the Ecommerce sector worldwide, identifying thematic winners and losers.
- This report is part of the ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by the “thematic engine”.
- About the Thematic Research Ecosystem
- The author has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, the author’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, the author tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in the author’s “thematic engine” help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. The 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. The thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Multi-Theme report, covering all stocks, all sectors and all themes, giving readers a strong sense of how everything fits together and how conflicting themes might interact with one another.
- The thematic investment research product, supported by the thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- The unique differentiator, compared to all rival thematic research houses, is that the thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
WHO’S WHO AND BEST IDEAS
APPENDIX: “THEMATIC” RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- B2W Cia Digital
- CJ O Shopping
- IAC Interactive
- Info Edge India
- Just Dial
- Just Eat
- Rea Group
- Rocket Internet
- Start Today
- Yahoo! Japan
- Yoox Net-A-Porter