China’s government is intent on upgrading its manufacturing sector and leading the world in a range of advanced technologies. Implicit in its “Made in China 2025” 10-year plan is the notion that China will displace the US as the world’s dominant technological power.
The 10 year plan has specifically targeted high tech industries and given China’s national champions government backing and funding to develop their tech businesses. Many of China’s tech leaders - whether Tsinghua Unigroup in chips or Huawei in telecom equipment of BGI in genomics - are heavily government backed.
Many of today’s advanced technologies - like AI or genomics - require a lot of data to work well. China’s population gives it more data than either the US or Europe to speed up its R&D process. Moreover, the sheer number of data scientists that China has at its disposal has grown to an impressive level.
This report researches the state and thrust of Chinese technology over the next two to five years and what it implies for global technology investors.
- This report is part of the ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by the “thematic engine”.
- About the Thematic Research Ecosystem
- The author has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, the author’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, the author tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in the author’s “thematic engine” help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. The 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. The thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Multi-Theme report, covering all stocks, all sectors and all themes, giving readers a strong sense of how everything fits together and how conflicting themes might interact with one another.
- The thematic investment research product, supported by the thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- The unique differentiator, compared to all rival thematic research houses, is that the thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
CHINA AND THE INDUSTRIES OF THE FUTURE
CHINA BY THE NUMBERS
CHINA TECH SCORECARD
- 21 Vianet
- AAC Technologies
- Beijing Gehua Catv Network
- China Mobile
- China Telecom
- China Unicom
- Estun Automation
- HollySys Automation
- Inspur Electronic
- Ningbo Bird
- Siasun Robot
- Sunny Optical
- Suzhou Anjie
- Television Broadcasts