The memory chip market is worth $122bn in 2017, according to IC Insights. DRAM chips comprise 60% of this market and NAND flash chips 40%, by value. The market still operates on the lagged perception that the memory sector is subject to gut-wrenching cycles of over and undersupply. In reality, the supply side has seen consolidation, with the number of key players halving in the last decade, reducing competition to an oligopoly scenario. At the same time, on the demand side, new and powerful technology cycles - such as Big Data, artificial intelligence, augmented reality, cloud computing, edge computing, blockchain and the Internet of Things - are boosting the importance - and price - of memory chips.
In this report we look into market potential of memory chips, also identifying winners and losers.
- This report is part of the ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by the “thematic engine”.
- About the Thematic Research Ecosystem
- The author has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, the author’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, the author tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in the author’s “thematic engine” help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. The 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. The thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Single Theme report, offering in-depth research into a specific theme. It identifies winners and losers based on technology leadership, market position and other factors.
- The thematic investment research product, supported by the thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- The unique differentiator, compared to all rival thematic research houses, is that the thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
Technology threats to the big three memory chip makers
Solid state memories
SEMICONDUCTOR SECTOR SCORECARD
APPENDIX: “THEMATIC” RESEARCH METHODOLOGY