Dhaka city or Dhaka Statistical Metropolitan Area (SMA) is the capital of Bangladesh. The city’s nominal GDP accounted for 6.5% of the national GDP in 2017. Improvements in public administration, education, and health, as well as in the manufacturing, construction, and transport sectors are expected to be major drivers of growth.
“City Profile - Dhaka” provides historical and forecast data on key city level metrics along with analytical coverage of the latest political, economic, social, technological, infrastructural, legal and environmental issues affecting Dhaka. The report contains detailed tourism, retail, construction, technology and public infrastructure data and insight into economic, social, and industry trends.
- The service sector remains the key contributor to the city’s economy - and the major employer.
- Dhaka is a key tourist destination for both domestic and international tourists and experienced healthy growth.
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of future economic and demographic trends and understand the performance of various sectors within the city.
- Analyze and understand the business environment in the city to align your investment and expansion strategies.
- The report helps to drive a conclusion in choosing a suitable city to invest or expand according to your business structure.
- Explore new opportunities in the hospitality, tourism, construction, real estate and retail sectors.
Technology and Infrastructure
Internal Transport Networks
Business Environment Analysis
Travel and Tourism
Construction and Real Estate
Real Estate Market
Consumption, Income and Prices
Ask the analyst
About the Author
List of Tables
Table 1: Dhaka city - key facts (estimates), 2017
Table 2: Dhaka city - real GDP growth, 2000-25
Table 3: Dhaka city - economic growth comparison, (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Table 4: Dhaka city - GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25 (US$)
Table 5: Dhaka city - employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 6: Dhaka city - main universities, 2018
Table 7: Dhaka city - population comparison, 2000-25 (million)
Table 8: Dhaka city - population by age, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 9: Dhaka city - MICE and other events
List of Figures
Figure 1: Dhaka city - real GDP growth, 2000-25
Figure 2: Dhaka city - economic growth comparison, (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Figure 3: Dhaka city - GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25
Figure 4: Dhaka city - employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Figure 5: Dhaka city - population comparison, 2000-25
Figure 6: Dhaka city - population by age, 2000-25 (% of total)