Christchurch is the largest city in the South Island and the third largest in New Zealand in terms of population after Auckland and Wellington. It has a strong presence of both service and industry sectors contributing about 7.9% to the nation’ total GDP. The city's economy is dominated by tourism, financial intermediation, real estate: wholesale and retail trade: hotels and restaurants.
“City Profile - Christchurch” provides historical and forecast data on key city level metrics along with analytical coverage of the latest political, economic, social, technological, infrastructural, legal and environmental issues affecting Christchurch. The report contains detailed tourism, retail, construction, technology and public infrastructure data and insight into economic, social, and industry trends.
- The service sectors remain the key contributors to the regional economy - and the major employers.
- Christchurch is a key tourist destinations in Canterbury region in New Zealand, for both domestic and international tourists.
- The tourism and hospitality sectors are experiencing a healthy growth.
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of future economic and demographic trends and understand the performance of various sectors within the city.
- Analyze and understand the business environment in the city to align your investment and expansion strategies.
- The report helps to drive a conclusion in choosing a suitable city to invest or expand according to your business structure.
- Explore new opportunities in the hospitality, tourism, construction, real estate and retail sectors.
Technology and Infrastructure
Internal Transport Networks
Business Environment Analysis
Travel and Tourism
Construction and Real Estate
Real Estate Market
Consumption, Income and Prices
Ask the analyst
About the Author
List of Tables
Table 1: Christchurch city - key facts (estimates), 2017
Table 2: Christchurch city - real GDP growth, 2000-25
Table 3: Christchurch city - economic growth comparison (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Table 4: Christchurch city- GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25 (US$)
Table 5: Christchurch city - employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 6: Christchurch city - population by comparison (2000-25)
Table 7: Christchurch city - population by age, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 8: Christchurch city -airport Indicators
Table 9: Christchurch city - office rents, Q1 2017
Table 10: Christchurch city - international arrivals by country of residence
Table 11: Christchurch city - hotel key performance indicators
Table 12: Christchurch city - MICE and Other Events
List of Figures
Figure 1: Christchurch city - real GDP growth, 2000-25
Figure 2: Christchurch city - economic growth comparison (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Figure 3: Christchurch city - GDP per capita comparison (2000-25)
Figure 4: Christchurch city-employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Figure 5: Christchurch city - population by comparison (2000-25)
Figure 6: Christchurch city - population by age, 2000-25 (% of total)