"Cloud-RAN will be the biggest single opportunity for telco software providers in the 5G era, driven by the technology’s ability to reduce operators’ TCO and enable new services."
Mobile network operators (MNOs) will look for more efficiency from their forthcoming 5G investments and network capacity growth, while maintaining flat capex budgets. We have identified three key technologies - cloud-RAN, small cells and self-optimising networks (SONs) - that MNOs will invest in and will help vendors to drive revenue in the next 5 years.
This report answers the following questions.
- Which technologies are CSPs most likely to invest in as they prepare for 5G?
- How can vendors take advantage of this emerging new demand, by providing solutions that address MNOs' key requirements?
- How will SONs, cloud-RAN and small cells work together to create a next-generation mobile platform?
- What are the drivers or trigger points that will stimulate MNO investment in these technologies, and how can vendors support them?
- How will the competitive landscape for vendors vary compared to that of the 4G era?
Who Should Read this Report
- Business and product strategy executives in vendor companies that offer or develop hardware or software for SON, cloud-RAN and small cells.
- Network strategy executives or CTOs within mobile operators that are looking to understand the drivers and deployment trends of their peers.
- Investors in start-ups or listed companies that specialise in these technologies.
- Officials in open-source or standards organisations that focus on these technologies.
- Executive Summary
- Small Cells: An Opportunity to Improve Coverage
- Cloud-RAN: Using Software to Reinvent The RAN
- SON: Removing The Barriers