"Japan: Country Intelligence Report", a new Country Intelligence Report provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Japan today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022. Published annually, the report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile and pay-TV segments, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
Japan’s telecom and pay-TV services market will grow from $121.5bn (¥13.53trn) in 2017 to $135.2bn (¥13.55trn) by 2022 at a CAGR of 2.2% (0.03% in local currency) over 2017-2022, driven by projected growth in mobile data, fixed broadband and pay-TV revenue. Mobile data revenue contributed the majority (33.0%) of the total revenue registered in 2017 with its share increasing to 43.2% by 2022, driven by rising smartphone penetration, high consumption of online video content led by operators' focus on increasing higher data-centric packages. The fixed broadband segment will reach $29.8bn (¥3.0trn) by 2022, led by steady rise in adoption of FTTH/B and cable Internet subscriptions and deployment of next-generation broadband technologies such as G.fast. Japan’s pay-TV revenue will grow at a CAGR of 3.2% (1.1% in local currency) driven by uptake of IPTV subscriptions and MNOs' investments in HD content technologies.
The Country Intelligence Report provides in-depth analysis of the following:
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in Japan.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation and more.
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data and pay-TV markets.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of the positioning of leading players in the telecom and pay-TV services market as well as subscription market shares across segments.
- Company snapshots: analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
- The overall telecom and pay-TV services market revenue in Japan will grow at a CAGR of 2.2% (0.03% in local currency) during 2017-2022.
- Mobile revenue will account for 56.7% of total telecom and pay-TV services revenue in 2022, driven by continued rise in adoption of LTE/LTE-A services and projected addition of 5G subscriptions from 2019.
- NTT Docomo leads Japan’s mobile market in terms of mobile subscriptions for 2017, followed by KDDI and SoftBank Japan. All the operators compete on the basis of 4G/LTE network enhancements and 5G development.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Japan’s telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying the author's Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Japan’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Japan’s telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Japan.
- Market highlights
- Demographic, macroeconomic and regulatory context
- Demographic and macroeconomic context
- Regulatory context
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook
- Total telecom service revenue
- Mobile services market
- Fixed services market
- Pay-TV services market
- Competitive landscape and company snapshots
- Competitive landscape
- SoftBank Group
- Additional resources
- Baseline forecast assumptions
- Data tables
- Research methodology
- Country Intelligence Report coverage