China COSCO is mainly engaged in the container shipping and terminal business. The company operates its international and domestic container shipping and related businesses through COSCO Shipping Lines and its terminal business through COSCO Shipping Ports. The company has more than 400 domestic and overseas sales and service outlets worldwide. The terminal business is engaged in loading/unloading and piling containers and bulk terminals, and container leasing services. The company’s Container Terminals segment is spread across 30 ports in the world, including China, Southeast Asia, Europe, Mediterranean, and Black Sea. The company operates in Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific. China COSCO is headquartered in Tianjin, China.
These company strategy reports provide in-depth coverage of the performance and strategies of the world’s leading transport and logistics companies. The report details company operations in key geographies and offers a comprehensive analysis of each firm’s growth strategy and financial performance. The reports benchmark company performance via key indicators, including air freight revenue, sea freight revenue, air freight volume, sea freight volume, operating income, net income, Total revenue.
The company has witnessed an increase in revenue and profitability ratio since Q3FY2016
The company recorded an increase in revenues from US$2,882.4m in Q3 2016 to US$3,232.8m in Q4 2016. Revenue then declined to US$3,090.1m in Q1 FY2017. Revenue increased to reach US$3,709.4m in Q3 FY2017. The company’s net profit margin increased from -10.6% in Q3 FY2016 to 3.6% in Q3 FY2017. In the last two quarters of FY2016, the company posted operating and net losses due to the disposal of demolished vessels.
The expansion of the self operating container fleet led to increased revenue from Container Shipping and related businesses
In 2016, the Container Shipping and related business accounted for 95% of the company’s total revenues. The revenue of the segment increased from US$8,358.2m in 2015 to US$10,110.2m in 2016, indicating an increase of 21.0%. This was due to the expansion of the self-operating container fleet. At the end of FY2016, the segment operated a fleet of 312 vessels, amounting to total capacity of 1,648,800 TEUs, growth of 85.9% in comparison to 886,928.4 TEUs in 2015. This enabled the company to improve its container shipping volume from 10.9 million TEUs in 2015 to 16.9 million TEUs in 2016, representing an increase of 54.36%.
Restructuring led to increases in the revenue of the Container Terminal and related business segment
In 2016, the Container Terminal and related business accounted for 5% of the company’s total revenue. The revenue of the segment increased from US$494.1m in 2015 to US$495.1m in 2016, indicating an increase of 0.2%. The increase was primarily due to the acquisition of COSCO SHIPPING Ports. In term of total throughput, COSCO SHIPPING Ports accounted for 13% of global market share. After restructuring, COSCO Shipping ports operated 158 container berths in 30 ports worldwide with annual handling capacity of 97.2 million TEUs. The increase in fleet capacity enabled COSCO Shipping Ports to post a robust growth in container throughput, which increased from 90.5 million TEUs in 2015 to 95.1 million TEUs in 2016, posting growth of 5.1%.
- Company Snapshot - Details key indicators and rankings of COSCO in terms of revenue, air freight volume, ocean containers and total warehouse space.
- Company SWOT Analysis - Outlines COSCO's strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities and threats facing the company.
- Growth Strategies - Provides an overview of COSCO’s corporate goals and strategic initiatives and evaluates their outcomes.
- Company Performance and Competitive Landscape - Analyses the company’s performance by geographical segment and provides a peer comparison on parameters such as revenue and market share.
- Key Developments - Showcases COSCO's recent corporate events and initiatives.
- ICT Spending Prediction - Details how the company allocates its ICT budget across the core areas of its business, specifically hardware, software, IT services, communications and consulting.
- How does COSCO ranks among its peers in terms of revenue and market share?
- What are COSCO's main growth strategies and how successful has the company been at implementing them?
- How has the company performed since 2014?
- How has COSCO performed in comparison to its main competitors?
- What are COSCO’s strengths and weaknesses and what are the opportunities and threats it faces?