Deutsche Bahn is one of the leading transport services company offering mobility and logistical services. It mainly offers passenger rail and bus transportation, freight transportation, and track infrastructure services. The company also carries out logistics and distribution and ticket sales for the passenger transport services, engineering services, vehicle maintenance and security services.
These company strategy reports provide in-depth coverage of the performance and strategies of the world’s leading transport and logistics companies. The report details company operations in key geographies and offers a comprehensive analysis of each firm’s growth strategy and financial performance. The reports benchmark company performance via key indicators, including air freight revenue, sea freight revenue, air freight volume, sea freight volume, operating income, net income and total revenue.
Decline in the volume of transportation of key commodities such as coal lead to revenue decline
The cargo segment of Deutsche Bahn deals with the transportation of freight throughout Europe. The revenue of the segment declined at 4.7% between 2015 and 2016 from US$5,292.3m in 2015 to US$5,041.3m in 2016. The decline in revenue was primarily attributed to the decline in the transportation volume of major commodities such as coal and steel, particularly in the United Kingdom and Germany.
Negative exchange rate lead to decline in the revenue
DB Schenker is the logistics arm of Deutsche Bahn and is globally renowned as a provider of complete logistics solutions. The revenue of the segment declined at 2.5% from US$17.1bn in 2015 to US$16.7bn in 2016. The decline in the revenue was primarily attributed to the negative exchange rate, as well as the decline in diesel prices and air and sea freight rates.
Deutsche Bahn’s revenue registered sustained growth
Deutsche Bahn has witnessed a continuous increase in revenue from H1 2016 to H1 2017. This growth in the revenue is primarily attributed to the strong performance of the DB Arriva and DB Netze track segment. This is mainly due to the company’s expansion into the European markets and the commencement of new services such as the Northern Rail in the United Kingdom and the commencement of new infrastructure projects throughout Europe.
- Company Snapshot - Details key indicators and rankings of Deutsche Bahn AG in terms of revenue, air freight volume, ocean containers and total warehouse space.
- Company SWOT Analysis - Outlines Deutsche Bahn AG 's strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities and threats facing the company.
- Growth Strategies - Provides an overview of Deutsche Bahn AG ’s corporate goals and strategic initiatives and evaluates their outcomes.
- Company Performance and Competitive Landscape - Analyses the company’s performance by geographical segment and provides a peer comparison on parameters such as revenue and market share.
- Key Developments - Showcases Deutsche Bahn AG 's recent corporate events and initiatives.
- ICT Spending Prediction - Details how the company allocates its ICT budget across the core areas of its business, specifically hardware, software, IT services, communications and consulting.
- How does Deutsche Bahn AG rank among its peers in terms of revenue and market share?
- What are Deutsche Bahn AG 's main growth strategies and how successful has the company been at implementing them?
- How has the company performed since 2014?
- How has Deutsche Bahn AG performed in comparison to its main competitors?
- What are Deutsche Bahn AG’s strengths and weaknesses and what opportunities and threats does it face?