"Cigarettes in Senegal, 2017", is an analytical report that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Senegalese market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
Until 2008, the Senegalese cigarette market was performing well with rising total and per capita sales. However, a change in the way excise duty is levied resulted in a collapse in sales during 2009 and 2010, with only price cuts by suppliers helping to bring about market recovery. Sales were 2.2 billion pieces in 2015, 43.2% up on 1990 levels, but in per capita terms the 154 pieces per year in 2015 was 24.5% down on 1990 levels.
- American blends are increasing their share, assisted by the popularity of the Excellence brand and price cutting for brands such as Marlboro.
- Trading up is leading to a decline in the popularity of plain cigarettes, although the low price of Camelia Sports ensures that plain cigarettes retain just under a fifth of sales. The popularity of lighter brands is steadily increasing, with Excellence and brands such as Marlboro now offered in this variant.
- The market is led by MTOA (Manufacture de Tabacs de l'Ouest Africain), which is majority owned by Imperial Tobacco and offers a range of key brands. Camelia is pitched at the lower end of the market while Excellence competes in the filter and menthol segments.
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
2. Market Size
3. Market Structure
4. Manufacturers & Brands
5. Taxation & Retail Prices
5.2 Retail Prices
6. The Smoking Population
7. Production and Trade
8. Operating Constraints
8.1 Advertising Restrictions
8.2 Health Warnings
8.3 Government Restrictions
9. Company Profiles
10. Prospects & Forecasts
11.1 What is this Report About?
11.2 Time Frame
11.3 Product Category Coverage
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2016
Table 2: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2016
Table 3: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, Million Pieces, 2000-2016
Table 4: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, Million Pieces, %, 2000-2016
Table 5: Tax & Duties, 2017
Table 6: Cigarette Prices, 2008 & 2010 (CFA/Pack)
Table 7: Cigarette Prices, 2008-2014 (CFA/Pack)
Table 8: Smoking Population, 1990-2016
Table 9: Smoking Prevalence (15+), 2015
Table 10: Cigarette Production, 1990-2016
Table 11: Cigarette Imports , 1995-2016
Table 12: Imports by Country of Origin, 2002-2016, Million Pieces
Table 13: Exports of Cigarettes, 1990-2016
Table 14: Exports by Country of Destination, Million Pieces, 2000-2016
Table 15: Company profile: MTOA (Manufacture de Tabacs de l'Ouest Africain)
Table 16: Company profile: Philip Morris Manufacturing Senegal
Table 17: Consumption Forecasts to 2026
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology