"Cigarettes in Finland, 2017", is an analytical report that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Finnish market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
The Finnish duty paid cigarette market has been in decline since the early 1990s due to a combination of reasons including recession, rising taxes and prices and consequent increased contraband, rising grey market sales, and more recently, competition from snus and e-cigarettes.Per capita consumption levels of duty paid cigarettes stood at 801 pieces/year in 2015 based on the total population, compared with 1,333 in 2008 and 1,435 pieces in 1990. Anti-smoking legislation is among the toughest in Europe. Regulations introduced in 1995 significantly limited the content of promotional material, while bans on public smoking have significantly altered the purchasing patterns of consumers, with vending machines now prohibited.
- An illustration of the impact of taxation can be seen by the swings in duty paid sales both before and after a tax rise had been imposed, with this the case in 2008/09, 2011/12 and more recently in 2014/15.
- There is also substantial cross-border trade with Russia, Sweden, and Estonia.
- There are three major suppliers, with PMI acquiring the Amer Group's cigarette interests in 2004, becoming the market leader.
- PMI brands dominate sales, largely through L&M and Marlboro.
- Its major rivals are Imperial and BAT.
- Local production of cigarettes ceased in March 2004, with the market now entirely dependent on imports.
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
2. Market Size
3. Market Structure
4. Manufacturers & Brands
5. Taxation & Retail Prices
5.2. Retail Prices
6. The Smoking Population
7. Production & Trade
8. Operating constraints
8.1. Advertising Restrictions
8.2. Health Warnings/Labelling Requirements
8.3. Other Restrictions
9. Company Profiles
10. Prospects & Forecasts
11.1. What is this Report About?
11.2. Time Frame
11.3. Product Category Coverage
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2016
Table 2: Total Sales (Domestic & Non-Domestic), 2000-2014, Million Pieces
Table 3: Total Sales (Domestic & Non-Domestic), 2000-2014, % Volume
Table 4: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2016
Table 5: Retail Sales Value, 1990-2016
Table 6: Cigarette Sales by Type, 2013-2015, % Volume
Table 7: Cigarette Sales by Price Segment, 2013-2015, % Volume
Table 8: Manufacturer Sales, 2000-2016, Million Pieces
Table 9: Manufacturer Market Shares, 2000-2016, % Volume
Table 10: Imports by Country of Origin, Million Pieces, 2000-2016
Table 11: Prevailing Tax Rates on Cigarettes, 1990-2017
Table 12: EU Countries, Retail Price & Tax Incidence Comparison, 2017
Table 13: Retail Price Trends - Most Popular Category, 1995-2017
Table 14: Cigarette Retail Prices, 2011-2015
Table 15: Smoking Population, 1990-2016
Table 16: Smoking Habits of the Population, 1996-2015
Table 17: Smokers by Age Group, Regular & Occasional, Selected years 1991-2015
Table 18: Proportion of Daily & Occasional Smokers, by Age & Gender, 2002, %
Table 19: Daily & Occasional Use of Snus, by Gender, 2000-2005 & 2008-2014, %
Table 20: Cigarette Production, 1990-2004, Million Pieces
Table 21: Cigarette Imports, 1990-2016
Table 22: Imports by Country of Origin, 2000-2016, Million Pieces
Table 23: Imports by Country of Origin, 2000-2016, % Volume
Table 24: Cigarette Exports, 1990-2016
Table 25: Exports by Country of Destination, 2000-2016, Million Pieces
Table 26: Exports by Country of Destination, 2000-2016, % Volume
Table 27: Company profile: Philip Morris Finland Oy
Table 28: Company profile: Imperial Tobacco Finland Oy(1)
Table 29: Company profile: British American Tobacco Nordic Oy
Table 30: Consumption Forecasts to 2026
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology