"Success Case Study: Lion Clinica Kids' Toothbrushes", is part of the author's Successes and Failures research. It examines the details of and reasons behind the success of Lion Clinica Kids' bendable toothbrushes and its series of oral care products for young children. It delivers the critical "what?", "why?", and "so what?" analysis to teach you crucial lessons that increase your chances of launching successful products.
According to The Consumer Affairs Agency of Japan, 139 accidents happening to children aged under six while brushing their teeth were reported between 2010 and 2016, and the majority of these involved children under three; some of them caused serious injuries. Safety while brushing teeth is a serious concern for parents who have small kids and safe toothbrush innovation sees much demand. The immediate success of Clinica Kids' toothbrush demonstrated that consumers are actively seeking products that help to improve their children's safety.
- Lion Clinica Kids' toothbrush line was relaunched in February 2017, including new bendable toothbrushes that help to improve safety while children are brushing their teeth.
- The new innovation features were very well received by shoppers, with sales of the toothbrush line between January and June 2017 recording a 212% increase from the same period in the previous year.
- Clinica Kids' toothbrushes are not only focused on improving safety, they also combine other appealing features such as reasonable price points and high credibility, which fueled this success.
- Innovations focusing on children's safety see great demand, yet they need to remain affordable to allow for frequent replacements, particularly in consumables.
- Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.