The report outlines the key consumer and innovation trends currently impacting the chocolate, confectionery, and desserts sector. Trends include clean confectionery, functionality, vegan-friendly confectionery, provenance, and experiential confectionery.
The report "Top Trends in Chocolate, Confectionery and Desserts 2018", has identified five innovation trends within chocolate, confectionery, and desserts:
- Clean confectionery: Utilizing natural, organic, and sustainably sourced ingredients will satisfy demand for more natural and "green" confectionery products to appeal to health-conscious consumers.
- Functionality: Demand for greater functionality is growing as health-conscious consumers seek out enriched and fortified confectionery products that offer tangible health benefits for their personal wellbeing.
- Vegan-friendly: Adjusting the formulation of products to better meet niche dietary requirements will ensure that brands not only appeal to vegans but also to flexitarians and consumers who associate veganism with a healthy lifestyle.
- Provenance: Provenance is increasingly viewed as an effective way for consumers to identify and guarantee product quality and authenticity. This creates a simple route to premiumization.
- Experimental confectionery: Consumers seek out novel and unique confectionery products, which in turn is driving the demand for more exciting offerings. This fuels opportunities for innovation in taste, flavor, and texture.
- Social media is seen as a platform for driving focus on "clean" confectionery.
- Short ingredient lists on packaging are an important part of the "clean label" movement in confectionery.
- Rise in better-for-you confectionery formulations is driving innovation across the confectionery space, as consumers are showing a preference towards products offering added health benefits.
- Impacted by health concerns over sugar consumption, consumers are opting to indulge in healthier products.
- Consumers are adapting their food and drink product consumption based on their dietary needs and lifestyle, turning to more personalized products.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.
2. Top Trends in Chocolate, Confectionery, and Desserts
- Clean Confectionery
- Experiential Confectionery
3. The Future