Technological advancements in the sensor and switch technology have resulted in advanced, miniature and highly reliable reed switches, acting as a driver for the employment of these switches in the automotive industry. Changing consumer preferences for safer driving experience have also forced the manufacturers to seek better safety sensors like pedal angle sensors, ABS and EBS.
The growing automobile sector in the Asia-Pacific region, with India and China emerging as automotive part manufacture hubs for the western automobile giants, is expected to drive the market for reed switches in this region. Over the past couple of years, the reed switch market in the Asia-Pacific region has grown rapidly, with a global share of around 35%, followed by North America and Europe. In a nutshell, automobile makers are now focusing on sourcing for more reliable sensors, like that of reed switches that are also economically feasible.
Vehicle safety systems are designed to protect passengers during accidents. They can be classified as primary, or passive systems and secondary, or active systems. Reed sensors can be used as an effective passive safety system suited to alert driver. Reed sensors for early brake sensing is one of the major and common usage of automotive reed sensors as mechanisms to alert drivers about possible collision or accident during application of brakes. Open vane sensors are also designed by using a normally closed reed switch on one side and a magnet on the other side, which is strong enough to keep the normally closed reed switch open.
Reed switches have several inherent disadvantages, including susceptibility to breakage issues during installation, and its susceptibility to shock or vibration applications, lower durability, a limited life due to the mechanical nature of the switch, as well as issues due to the contact bounce. Reliability and durability are challenges for reed switch users. When leads on the reed switches are soldered into the circuit, they bend significantly, and this can easily crack the glass enclosure of the switch, making the switch unusable. Reed switch manufacturers, therefore, carefully provides specific installation instructions in order to limit this breakage.
Key Developments in the Market
- February 2018: Commercial robotic cars will hit the road in 2018. The cost of this taxi is expected to be around USD 200K
- September 2017: USD 115M project for WV Toyota plant to start by 2020
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- Detailed analysis on the product type that is expected to dominate the market
- Detailed analysis on the regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identifying the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel)
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please contact us for more information.
1.1 Research Methodology
1.2 General Study Assumptions
2. Research Methodology
2.2 Analysis Methodology
2.3 Study Assumptions
2.4 Econometric Forecast Model
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Overview and Technology Trends
4.1 Current Market Scenario
4.2 Technology Trends
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of the Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of the Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.3.5 Competitive Rivalry within the Industry
5. Market Dynamics
5.1.1 Increase Usage for Automotive Safety Solutions
5.1.2 Growing Consumer Demand for Safety and Comfort
5.2.1 Functional Issues Associated With Reed Switches
5.2.2 Price Competitive Market
5.3.1 Rapid Development of Autonomous Cars
6. Global Automotive Reed Switches/Sensors Market, By Type
6.1 Surface Mount
6.2 Through Hole
7. Global Automotive Reed Switches/Sensors Market, By Vehicle Type
7.1 Passenger Car
7.2 Commercial Vehicles
7.3 Electric cars
8. Global Automotive Reed Switches/Sensors Market, By Application Type
8.1 Internal Sensors
8.2 Tachometer, Speedometer and Cruise Control
8.3 Infotainment systems
8.4 Braking and safety systems
9. Global Automotive Reed Switches/Sensors Market, By Geography
9.1 North America
9.1.1 United States
9.1.4 Rest of the North America
9.2.2 United Kingdom
9.2.6 Rest of the Europe
9.3.4 Rest of the Asia-Pacific
9.4 South America
9.4.3 Rest of the South America
9.5 Middle East & Africa
9.5.1 Saudi Arabia
9.5.2 South Africa
9.5.3 Rest of the Middle East & Africa
10. Competitive Landscape
10.2 Market Share Analysis
11. Company Profiles
11.1 Aleph America Corporation
11.2 Coto Technology
11.3 GE-Ding Information Inc.
11.4 Hamlin Electronics
11.5 OKI Sensor Device Corporation
11.6 PIC GmbH
11.7 SMC Corporation of America
11.8 Standex-Meder Electronics, Inc.
11.9 STG Germany GmbH
11.10 TE Connectivity Ltd.
11.11 Thomas White (Leicester) Limited
11.12 XT America LLC
11.13 Comus International
12. Future Outlook of the market
- Aleph America Corporation
- Coto Technology
- GE-Ding Information Inc.
- Hamlin Electronics
- OKI Sensor Device Corporation
- PIC GmbH
- SMC Corporation of America S.A.dex-Meder Electronics Inc.
- STG Germany GmbH
- TE Connectivity Ltd.
- Thomas White (Leicester) Limited
- XT America LLC
- Comus International