This one-day seminar will be addressing how a Business Associate needs to comply with HIPAA and when it applies.
The primary goal is to ensure everyone is well educated on what is myth and what is reality with this law, as there is so much misleading information regarding the do's and don'ts with HIPAA. I want to add clarity for Business Associates, and also help businesses comply. Not only is this necessary due to the requirements of HIPAA but also to satisfy many customers who require much more these days than just signing a Business Associate Agreement.
Times have changed, and unfortunately, many businesses are losing clients or are unable to get new clients due to problems with their compliance program or lack of a compliance program. I will explain real life scenarios as well as best practices and excellent resources you can use to get your house in order before it's too late.
It will also address major changes under the Omnibus Rule and any other applicable updates for 2018.
I will speak on specific experiences from over 17 years of working as an outsourced compliance auditor and expert witness on multiple HIPAA cases, and will thoroughly explain how patients are now able to get cash remedies for wrongful disclosures of private health information and how this ALSO applies to Business Associates.
More importantly, I will show you how to limit those risks by simply taking proactive steps and utilizing best practices.
I will uncover myths versus reality as it relates to this very enigmatic law based on over 1000 risk assessments performed as well as years of experience in dealing directly with the Office of Civil Rights and HIPAA auditors.
In addition, this course will cover the highest risk factors for being sued as well as being audited (these two items tend to go hand in hand)
Why you should attend:
- Do you have an affective HIPAA compliance program?
- What does HIPAA compliance mean for Business Associates?
- Why should you be concerned?
- My goal is to make this extremely complex enigma known as "HIPAA" very easy to understand with a painless step by step approach to an otherwise harrowing task... Times have changed and new laws are now in place concerning Protected Health Information.
- The best way to protect your business and save yourself future headaches and possible litigation or Federal fines is to be proactive instead of reactive
- For a Business Associate it is also important to be able to prove compliance to perspective clients as well - covered entities are vetting their contractors for HIPAA compliance more than ever before
Areas Covered in the Session:
- Updates for 2018
- Requirements of Compliance Officers at a business
- New definition of what constitutes protected health information
- Real life litigated cases
- Portable devices
- Business associates and the increased burden with litigation
- Using HIPAA compliance to get more business
- Emailing of PHI
- Texting of PHI
- Federal Audit Process of a business associate
- HIPAA and suing - how this works
- Risk Assessment
- Best resources
Day 1 Schedule
Lecture 1 (90 Mins):
HIPAA: A Brief History
New definition of what constitutes Protected Health Information
HIPAA and the Business Associate
Lecture 2 (90 Mins):
Thorough examination of all 18 Standards and 44 Implementation Specifications of the HIPAA Security Rule and how to apply them as a business
What do your clients require? Common questions asked by potential clients (based on experience)
What should you disclose to a client?
Lecture 3 (90 Mins):
HIPAA and technology concerns
Lecture 4 (90 Mins):
How to conduct a HIPAA Security Risk Assessment and write proper policies specifically for a Business Associate.
Senior Compliance Consultant and IT Manager ,
In Gauge Healthcare Solutions
Brian CPHIT, CHP, CBRA, Net+, A+, CCNA, MCP is a Certified HIPAA Professional (CHP), Certified Business Resilience Auditor (CBRA) with over 15 years’ experience in Health IT and Compliance Consulting.
Mr Tuttle has worked all of those 15 years with MAG Mutual Healthcare Solutions and is now Senior Compliance Consultant and IT Manager with In Gauge Healthcare Solutions (previously named MAG Mutual Healthcare Solutions). Almost all of Brian’s clients are earned by referral with little or no advertising. Brian is well known and highly regarded in medical circles throughout the United States.
- Any Business Associates who work with medical practices or hospitals (i.e. billing companies, transcription companies, IT companies, answering services, home health, coders, attorneys, etc)
Courtyard by Marriott Savannah Midtown
6703 Abercorn Street