Increasing applications and adoption of the digital scent technology (particularly e-noses) in the healthcare and the military and defense sectors has been the primary factor driving the market for digital scents. However, the high initial costs and the lack of awareness are expected to hinder the market growth.
North America to Hold a Lion’s Share of the Market
North America holds the dominant share in the global digital scent market owing to an established infrastructure that makes use of various technological advancements. The established healthcare industry in the region is boosting the market growth. Emphasis of the US government on healthcare and special initiatives, like the “Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act” (Obamacare) are also favoring the market in this region. Electronic noses are being developed extensively in this region for the healthcare industry to sniff out cancers. Similarly, the defense and military sector in the region is very well established, with defense spending in the United States growing at a significant rate. The country has the biggest military defense budget, which is estimated to be around USD 611 billion. The recent applications of digital scent technologies have come through advancements in sensor design, material improvements, software innovations, and progress in micro circuitry design and systems integration.
The developing infrastructure in the region, coupled with the rising adoption of technological advancements across various industries to better the business model, is set to boost the growth of the overall digital scent market.
Increasing Adoption of E-Nose in Healthcare to Drive the Market
The major driver for the digital scent market is the rising implementation of e-nose applications for clinical diagnosis. An e-nose is capable of providing useful information through the analysis of the volatile organic compounds in body fluids, such as exhaled breath, urine, and blood, which could cause an increased adoption of this technology in the healthcare industry. The healthcare industry is set to witness the highest growth rate owing to an increased adoption of scent synthesizers and e-noses to detect cancer. However, the high cost of such devices might hinder the adoption rate in the healthcare industry. In the near future, development and use of application-specific hybrid systems, consisting of the combination of non-specific sensors together with specific sensors or other devices, capable of both producing a response to the odor as a whole, and coupled with technological advancements to rise costs, might boost the growth of the market.
E-Nose to Hold the Largest Market Share
A wide variety of industries based on specific product types and categories, such as the automobile, food, packaging, cosmetic, drug, analytical chemistry, and biomedical, utilize e-noses for a broad and diverse range of applications, including quality control of raw and manufactured products. Utilizing e-noses in the food industry is a means of monitoring fruit freshness and shelf life before marketing can have some benefits that maximize corporate profits and optimize customer satisfaction. Similarly, the growth of electronic-nose applications in the healthcare industry has development far beyond the initial uses discovered in disease detection. E-nose applications have been forthcoming and continue to be developed in a wide diversity of healthcare sectors, ranging from prognoses and monitoring of various medical conditions to detecting health hazards in the environment, as well as applications in pharmacology, research, medical-waste evaluation, and telemedicine.
Key Developments in the Market
- November 2017 - Smiths Detection launched Corsys, an integrated security system for ports and borders to detect anomalies, manage risks more effectively and increase duty collections to significantly improve overall operational performance. The system harnesses and analyses biometrics, communications, traffic control, and X-ray system data. The product launch was aimed at strengthening the company’s product portfolio in the detection applications.
- October 2017 - Smiths Detection launched a new HI-SCAN 6040 CTiX scanner to deliver higher levels of security while also optimizing checkpoint performance through improved productivity, higher throughput and lower costs.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- How increasing adoption in healthcare acts as a driver to the global market scenario?
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- Which solutions and type of security is expected to dominate the market?
- Which regions are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period?
- Identify the latest developments, market shares and strategies employed by the major market players.
- Three months analyst support along with the market estimate sheet (in Excel).
This report can be customized to meet your requirements..
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
2. Research Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Factors Driving the Market
4.3 Factors Restraining the Market
4.4 Value Chain Analysis
4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.5.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.5.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Competitive Rivalry
5. Global Digital Scent Segmentation
5.1 By Hardware
5.1.1 Scent Synthesizer
5.2 By Application
5.2.1 Mobile Phone
5.2.2 Smelling Screen
5.2.3 Music & Video Game
5.2.4 Explosives Detetcor
5.2.5 Quality Control
5.2.6 Medical Diagnosis
5.3 By End-User Vertical
5.3.1 Military & Defense
5.3.3 Food & Beverage
5.4 By Region
5.4.1 North America
5.4.4 Latin America
5.4.5 Middle East & Africa
6. Competitive Intelligence
6.1 Airsense Analytics GmbH
6.2 Alpha MOS SA
6.3 AMS AG
6.4 Scentsational Technologies
6.5 Smiths Detection Inc.
6.6 Electronic Sensor Technology
6.7 Scentcom Ltd.
6.8 Scent Sciences Corporation
6.9 The Enose Company
6.10 Sensigent Intelligent Sensing Solutions
* List is not Exhaustive
7. Investement Analysis
8. Future of Digital Scent Market
- Airsense Analytics GmbH
- Alpha MOS SA
- AMS AG
- Scentsational Technologies
- Smiths Detection Inc.
- Electronic Sensor Technology
- Scentcom Ltd.
- Scent Sciences Corporation
- The Enose Company
- Sensigent Intelligent Sensing Solutions