Biodegradable paper packaging products are increasingly finding adoption in a wide variety of industries, owing to their low environmental impact and growing demand for sustainable solutions. It provides quicker and complete natural degradation than the conventional paper packaging solutions. Majority of the materials used in this packaging are natural, which enables native degradation without the need for an external catalyst. Most of the paper products made from pure paper pulp, without the addition of waterproof coating or inks, are entirely biodegradable. Growing environmental concerns have been identified as the primary driver impacting the market growth. Consumers, across the world, are realizing the environmental impact of waste dumping and landfills. Many industries and governments have taken initiatives to reduce wastage and utilize proper solutions to counter the environmental impact. Companies, such as Unilever and P&G, have pledged to move to more natural packaging solutions and reduce ecological footprint by 50%. This is one of the factors driving the biodegradable solution consumption across industries. The growing number of innovations in the industry are expanding the product availability to the end users. Thus, companies are finding it more accessible to deploy these solutions, thereby increasing the adoption rate. However, higher costs associated with biodegradable paper packaging is challenging the industry. Lower rigidity and limitations with packaging offerings are restraining the market.
Recycling remains one of the major trends observed in the industry. Although paper products are biodegradable, the process has been identified to be inconsistent in landfills owing to the presence of external elements. The impact of landfills is creating concerns among the municipalities. Thus, governments and organizations are pushing for recycling over landfill disposables, with biodegradable packaging having high recyclability, owing to the absence of additional artificial elements. Thus, product recyclability is growing, and many industries are demanding recycled paper products over virgin solutions, owing to lower energy consumption.
Many companies offering paper packaging solutions are focusing on biodegradable products to attract consumers. Industry leaders are venturing into providing complete biodegradable packaging solutions to gain hold of the expanding market. The demand for these packaging solutions has been identified to be high among the industries when compared to consumers as end user, as it eliminates the need for attractive packaging in industrial solutions. Organic stores and natural stores are also deploying the solutions to maintain brand perception. Overall, the market is projected to witness robust growth over the forecast period.
New Opportunities in Home & Personal Care Market
Home & personal care segment uses paper packaging solutions to provide secondary and tertiary packaging to the end-user products. The packaging solutions are also used in industrial operations in the manufacturing and distribution stages. The products consuming paper packaging solutions include soaps, cleaners, skin care products, hair care products, tissues, fragrances, and other home use appliances. The conventional paper packaging solutions dominate the segment accounting for the majority of the consumption in this section. With packaging attractiveness being one of the most crucial factors influencing the consumer purchase decision in the market, companies prefer attractive packaging solutions over biodegradable solutions. However, with many consumers demanding natural and environment-friendly packaging, the adoption of these solutions is experiencing a growing trend. Natural and organic personal care product providers are primarily consuming these solutions to target environmental-conscious consumers.
Innovations in this sector are enabling companies to use biodegradable paper for a variety of packaging needs while opting for conventional, wherever required. Industrial operations contribute to the majority of the market demand, owing to easier availability and flexibility of choosing alternative solutions. Paper packaging is deployed in the industry for mass transportation and distribution of products packaged in bulk. These solutions need not be attractive, as operations are confined to the industry. Thus, companies are finding it more accessible to deploy biodegradable paper packaging solutions within the industry. With many industries moving toward environment-friendly packaging solutions, the demand from this industry is expected to witness better growth over the forecast period.
Key Developments in the Market
- January 2018: International Paper announced that it had completed the transfer of its North America Consumer Packaging business to Graphic Packaging. As a result of this transaction, Graphic Packaging has assumed USD 660 million of IP debt. IP now holds a 20.5% ownership interest in the subsidiary of Graphic Packaging that keeps the assets of the combined business. The transferred business includes approximately 3,900 employees, two coated paperboard mills, and three converting facilities in the United States, along with one converting plant in the United Kingdom.
- September 2017: International Paper announced plans to invest around USD 300 million to convert its number 15 paper machine at the Riverdale Mill in Selma, Ala., from uncoated freesheet to high-quality whitetop linerboard and containerboard. This conversion is targeted to be completed by mid 2019. The investment is expected to add 450,000 tons of annual capacity, with the flexibility to shift between containerboard products.
- April 2017: International Paper's Pensacola Mill in Cantonment, Fla., has successfully resumed full operations following a digester incident that occurred on January 22, 2017. The company, with the assistance of independent third-party experts, has implemented enhanced procedures and protections across the enterprise to prevent the recurrence of such an incident.
Reasons to Purchase the Report
- Current and future global biodegradable paper packaging market outlook.
- Analyzing performance of various segments of the global market.
- Analyzing different perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s Five Forces Analysis.
- Segments and sub-segments expected to dominate the global market.
- Regions expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period.
- Latest developments, market shares and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3-month analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel).
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please contact us for more information.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Research Methodology
2. Executive Summary
3. Market Insights
3.1 Market Overview
3.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
3.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter’s Five Force Analysis
3.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
3.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.3.4 Threat of Substitutes
3.3.5 Competitive Rivalry
4. Market Dynamics
4.1.1 Growing Environment Conscientious Population
4.1.2 Stringent Government Regulations
4.2.1 Growth and Advancement in Biodegradable Paper and Plastics
4.2.2 Higher Costs
5. Market Segmentation
5.1 By Paper Type
5.1.1 Kraft Paper
5.1.2 Flexible Paper
5.1.3 Corrugated Fiberboard
5.2 By End-User Industry
5.2.5 Fashion and Apparels
5.2.6 Electronics and Appliances
5.3 By Region
5.3.1 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 Rest of North America
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 Latin America
126.96.36.199 Rest of Latin America
5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6. Major Companies
6.2 Ball Corporation
6.3 BASF SE
6.4 Be Green Packaging LLC
6.5 Berkley International Packaging
6.6 Biopac Ltd
6.7 Biopac UK Ltd
6.8 International Paper Company
6.9 Kruger Inc.
6.10 Mayr-Melnhof Karton AG
6.11 Mondi Group
6.12 Ranpak Corporation
6.13 Reynolds Group Holdings Limited
6.14 Smurfit Kappa Group
6.15 Stora Enso Paper
6.16 Tetra Laval
6.17 Westrock Company
*List not Exhaustive
7. Investment Analysis
7.1 Recent Mergers & Acquisitions
7.2 Investment Outlook
8. Future of the Market