The Asia-Pacific region constituted around 18% of the global whey protein market. Very high population growth and a subsequent demand for food in the region is expected to boost the market for whey in this region. The whey protein market in Asia-Pacific is estimated to be valued at revenue of USD 1,317.5 million in 2018 and is expected to reach USD 2,107.4 million by 2023, registering a CAGR of 9.85%.
The whey protein market has some great opportunities, with the increasing prescription of supplements by doctors and higher scope for application in personal care and sports nutrition driving the demand in Asia-Pacific. The burgeoning middle class population of developing countries, with their rising disposable incomes, lifestyle changes, and working women population see protein fortified foods and dietary supplements as a viable option to address nutritional requirements.
The Asia-Pacific whey protein market is segmented by product type into whey protein concentrate (WPC), whey protein isolate (WPI), and hydrolyzed whey protein (HWP). WPC, high in lactose and low in protein, constitutes over 25% of the total whey protein market share. It is used in the production of protein beverages and nutritional supplements. HWPs, high in protein, hold around 60% of the market share and are used in medical and sports nutrition products.
Whey proteins are versatile in their usage and find their application extensively in infant formulae, bakers & confectioneries, snacks, and dairy products. Functional beverages, such as sack and wine, employ whey as a major ingredient in the production processes. This is expected to be the fastest growing segment in the next five years. With an identified nutritional value, 45% of the global market for whey protein has been centralized in the dietary supplements segment.
China is the largest market for whey protein within Asia-Pacific, accounting for 32% of the market share. As China has the largest population in the world, a very high demand for food exists in the region. Japan is the second major market for whey protein in the Asia-Pacific region. The Japanese population is highly inclined towards organized and healthy lifestyles.
- January 2018 - Arla Foods has invested USD 655 million towards expanding and improving production capacity as well as innovative technology as the company continues to deliver on its 2020 growth ambition.
- November 2017- Fonterra Cooperative Group bought Oregon-based whey protein concentrate and lactose manufacturer, Columbia River Technologies, in a bid to secure its US-sourcing network.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing outlook of the market with the recent trends and Porters five forces analysis
- Market dynamics, which essentially consider the factors, which are impelling the present market scenario, along with growth opportunities of the market in the years to come
- Market segmentation analysis, including qualitative & quantitative research incorporating the impact of economic & non-economic aspects
- Regional and Country level analysis integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market
- Competitive landscape involving the market share of major players, along with the key strategies adopted for development in the past five years
- Comprehensive company profiles covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel)
This report can be customized to meet your requirements.
1.1 Research Methodology
1.2 Definition of the Market
1.3 Report Description
2. Key findings of the Study
3. Market Overview
4. Market Dynamics
4.1.1 Demand for Dietary Supplements
4.1.2 Rising Demand for Functional Foods & Beverages
4.1.3 Increased Demand for Recombined/Pediatric Milk in Developing Countries
4.2.1 Undefined Regulatory Guidelines
4.2.2 High Production Cost
4.2.3 Health/Safety Concerns when Use is Not Regulated
4.3.1 Increasing Prescription of Supplements by Doctors
4.3.2 Higher Scope of Application in Personal Care and Sports Nutrition
4.4 Porters Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. Market Segmentation
5.1 By Product Type
5.1.1 Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC)
5.1.2 Whey Protein Isolate (WPI)
5.1.3 Hydrolyzed Whey Protein (HWP)
5.2 By Application
5.2.1 Functional Foods
188.8.131.52 Infant Formula
184.108.40.206 Dairy Products
5.2.2 Functional Beverages
220.127.116.11 Wine Whey
5.2.3 Dietary Supplements
5.3 By Geography
18.104.22.168 Rest of APAC
6. Competitive Landscape
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Most Active Companies
6.3 Market Share Analysis
7. Company Profiles
7.1 Bright Diary
7.3 Glanbia Nutritionals
7.4 Hershey Foods
7.5 Meiji Milk Products Co. Ltd.
7.6 Mengniu Dairy Group Ice Cream Plant
7.8 Namyang Dairy
7.9 Seoul Dairy