Being the HIPAA Security and Privacy Official involves not only ensuring you know the appropriate controls on your uses and disclosures of Protected Health Information, but you also have the proper policies and procedures in place. If audited or the subject of a breach investigation, you will be required to show the government you have all the necessary documentation in place for safeguarding patient Protected Health Information and indicate how you addressed all required security safeguards. This starts with the fundamentals of a HIPAA compliance program.
If your HIPAA Security and Privacy Official needs to understand what all of the HIPAA requirements are or make sure the current program is adequate and can withstand government scrutiny, please join us for this informative and interactive 1-day training course led by an industry leader and expert in HIPAA regulatory requirements.
Why you should attend:
The HIPAA Security and Privacy Official is the backbone of any organization's compliance program. Covered Entities and Business Associates must designate members of the workforce to handle this regulatory requirement. Often times this role is assigned as collateral duty in smaller organizations. Regardless the size of an organization, the HIPAA Security and Privacy Official must know all the requirements for compliance. This is a critical element of the position.
Attendees will leave the course clearly understanding the role and all the requirements as the designated as a HIPAA Security and Privacy Official. This one day comprehensive seminar will cover reviews, creation, and amending policy and procedure. After completing this course, a HIPAA Security and Privacy Official will have a clear understanding for what needs to be place when it comes to all of the HIPAA regulations.
Areas Covered in the Session:
- Why was HIPAA created?
- What are HITECH and the Omnibus Rule?
- Why You Must Comply with HIPAA Requirements
- What are the HIPAA Security and Privacy Rules?
- What is a HIPAA Compliance Program?
- What is a HIPAA Risk Management Plan?
- Review of HIPAA Privacy & Security Officials Job Responsibilities
- What are Administrative, Technical, and Physical Safeguards Requirements?
- Understanding the Business Associate Relationships and Managing the Process
- What is a HIPAA Risk Assessment?
- What are HIPAA training requirements?
- What is a HIPAA data breach and what happens if it occurs?
- HIPAA Violation Case Examples & Lessons Learned
- Making Your Sanction Policy Work for You
Lecture 1 (90 Mins):
- What is HIPAA, HITECH & the Omnibus Rule
- The Role of the HIPAA Privacy & Security Officials
- How Officials Can Mitigate Risk
Lecture 2 (90 Mins):
- HIPAA Privacy Rule Requirements
- Reviewing Notice of Privacy Practices (NPP)
- Authorized and Permitted Disclosures
- How to Preform a HIPAA Privacy Assessment
Lecture 3 (90 Mins):
- HIPAA Security Rule Requirements
- Administrative, Technical, and Physical Safeguards
- Managing the Business Associates Process
- How to Perform a HIPAA Risk Assessment
- Lecture 4 (90 Mins):
- What HIPAA Policies and Procedures Must be Covered
- HIPAA Risk Management Plans
- HIPAA Enforcement Trends - Lessons Learned
- HIPAA & Social Media
- Summary & Closing Remarks
- Q&A will be included at the end of each session
President and Founder ,
Colington Security Consulting, LLC
Jay Hodes is a leading expert in HIPAA compliance and President of Colington Consulting. His company provides HIPAA consulting services for healthcare providers and business associates. Mr. Hodes has over 30 years of combined experience in risk assessments, site security evaluation, regulatory compliance, policy and procedures assessments, and Federal law enforcement management. He is the former Assistant Inspector General for Investigations at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Mr. Hodes has been the keynote speaker and provided presentations regarding HIPAA compliance to many professional healthcare organizations. He has published over 35 educational articles regarding HIPAA compliance, been featured in Part B News articles, the Report on Patient Privacy, provided a guest post in the Electronic Health Reporter, and provided advice on HIPAA compliance to Renal & Urology News and the Virtru.com blog.
Mr. Hodes is a member of member of the American Institute of Healthcare Compliance, Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society, American Society for Industrial Security, Metro Collaborative, the Practice Management Association of Northern Virginia, the Health Technology Forum: DC, Association of Elderservice Professionals (VA) and the Loudoun Seniors Interest Network.
Mr. Hodes is certified by the New Jersey Board of Dentistry and the Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners to provide continuing education classes in HIPAA compliance. In his free time, Mr. Hodes is a volunteer for Lab Rescue of the Labrador Retriever Club of the Potomac and the non-profit organization, Outer Banks Sporting Events.
- Physician Owners
- Practice Owners
- Compliance Officer
- HIPAA Privacy Officer
- HIPAA Security Officer
- Medical/Dental Office Managers
- Practice Managers
- Information Systems Manager
- Practice Management Consultants
- Chief Information Officer
- General Counsel/lawyer
Courtyard By Marriott Denver Airport
6901 Tower Road