"Mobile Broadband Trends in Africa & Middle East", a new Telecom Insider Report, provides an executive-level overview of the mobile broadband market in Africa & Middle East (AME). It delivers quantitative and qualitative insights into the mobile market, analyzing key trends and growth drivers in the region.
In AME, mobile services revenue growth will be driven by a continuous expansion in mobile subscriptions penetration of the population and in mobile data usage over 2017-2022.The region will record important growth in cellular M2M/IoT subscriptions driven by a number of vertically-focused M2M/IoT applications. Over the forecast period, operators will continue to focus on 4G coverage expansion, network evolution to 5G (i selected markets), mobile data monetization and IoT/M2M portfolio expansion. AME telecoms market will provide significant opportunities for vendors and investors in the coming years.
It provides in-depth analysis of the following:
- Section 1: Africa & Middle East in a global context: This section provides a comparison of AME's macro-economic KPIs, mobile telecoms market size and trends with other regions.
- Section 2: Competitive dynamics: This section analyses the competitive dynamics that have been shaping the AME mobile markets over the past four years, including MNO and MVNO market entries, market exits, MVNOs market expansion, consolidation and M&As activities.
- Section 3: Mobile broadband subscription trends in AME: Provides analysis, historical figures and forecasts of the mobile subscriptions and usage trends in the region as well as their growth drivers. It includes an overview of the evolution trend and growth drivers of mobile users, subscriptions by mobile generation (2G, 3G, 4G, 5G), subscriptions by device type (smartphone, feature phone, connected data devices and M2M/IoT) and data usage by payment type. It also provides a list of the expected 5G network launches in the region.
- Section 4: Mobile Broadband revenue trends in AME: Examines changes in the breakdown of overall revenue and ARPU over 2017-2022. - Section 5: Key findings: it consists of a summary of key findings and growth opportunities for the AME mobile broadband market.
- Market consolidation and M&As have intensified in a number of countries, with more than three mobile players.
- Data usage in AME is booming and the author expects average data usage to more than double between 2017 and 2022; Kuwait and Bahrain are already witnessing a high mobile data usage already largely above the expected 2022 AME monthly average of 4.6GB.
- 5G will account for a small share of total AME mobile subscriptions in 2022; 3G will still be the leading technology, slightly ahead of 4G which share will more than double in 2017-2022.
- This Insider Report provides a comprehensive examination through forward-looking analysis of AME’s mobile telecommunications markets trends in a concise analytical format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in AME’s mobile telecommunications markets.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive actionable insights will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players better position to seize the growth opportunities in AME's evolving telecommunications market.
- Key takeaways
- Africa & Middle East highlights
- Section 1: Africa & Middle East in a global context
- Africa & Middle East’s main facts
- Africa & Middle East’s demographics
- Africa & Middle East in a global context
- Section 2: Competitive dynamics
- Major competitive changes in Africa & Middle East
- Africa & Middle East’s main competitive market trends
- MVNOs in Africa & Middle East
- Section 3: Mobile broadband subscription trends
- Mobile user trends in Africa & Middle East
- Mobile technology trends in Africa & Middle East
- 5G innovators
- Mobile device trends in Africa & Middle East
- M2M/IoT trends in Africa & Middle East
- Mobile data traffic trends in Africa & Middle East
- Section 4: Mobile broadband revenue trends in AME
- ARPU trends in Africa & Middle East
- Revenue trends in Africa & Middle East
- Section 5: Key findings and recommendations
Exhibit 1: Population
Exhibit 2: Nominal GDP
Exhibit 3: Real GDP growth
Exhibit 4: User penetration
Exhibit 5: Subscription penetration
Exhibit 6: Prepaid subscriptions as a% of total subscriptions
Exhibit 7: Monthly ARPU
Exhibit 8: Data as a share of total ARPU
Exhibit 9: Monthly voice MoU
Exhibit 10: MVNO subscriptions
Exhibit 11: Top five markets in terms of MVNO market share in AME
Exhibit 12: Mobile user penetration vs. PPP-Adjusted GDP per capita
Exhibit 13: Mobile users
Exhibit 14: Mobile subscriptions and penetration
Exhibit 15: Mobile subscriptions by technology generation
Exhibit 16: Top five markets in terms of 5G subscriptions as a % of total
Exhibit 17: Mobile subscriptions by device type
Exhibit 18: Net additions by device type
Exhibit 19: Mobile handsets subscriptions by type
Exhibit 20: M2M/IoT subscriptions and revenue
Exhibit 21: Total mobile data traffic
Exhibit 22: Mobile ARPU in AME
Exhibit 23: Monthly spend on 1GB of data as % of PPPadjusted GDP per capita
Exhibit 24: Mobile services revenue by device type
Exhibit 25: Fastest growing markets in terms of mobile services revenue
- Home Cellular
- Hot Mobile
- Telecom Egypt
- Turk TeleKom