The European fat replacers market is expected to register a market value of USD 682.12 million by 2023. Increasing number of health-conscious individuals are modifying their dietary habits and eating less fat, and hence, fat replacers have tremendous market opportunity. Ulrick & Short, a British clean label ingredient company, added a new variety for fat replacer, Delyte 9. This new ingredient, Delyte 9, is specifically effective for dairy-based confectionery products, such as custards, and creams, which not only decreases the fat content, but also increases indulgence, which will positively impact the fat replacers market growth.
Fat replacers are a boon, as high fat intake is associated with increased risk of obesity and some types of cancer, high blood cholesterol, coronary heart disease, etc. The growing demand for low-calorie and low-fat diet is identified as one of the primary growth factors for the fat replacer market in Asia-Pacific. By choosing these alternative foods, health-conscious consumers can maintain basic food selection patterns and easily adhere to a low-fat diet. World Health Organization recommends that the total fat intake should be less than 30% of the total calories, and the intake of saturated fat should not exceed 10% of the total calories. Each gram of fat contains 9 calories, compared to protein or carbohydrates, which each contain 4 calories per gram. The consumers are, thus, moving toward fat replacement, as a popular approach to low-calorie diet.
Fat replacers do not compare well with the flavor of their full-fat counterparts, which can be a major market restraint and suppress the market in the future, as well. Majority fat replacers are generally recognized as safe (GRAS), however, health-conscious consumers are seeking the long-term impact of consuming fat-replacers, the possible toxicological traits associated with its excessive consumption, like Ketogenesis, which is a hurdle in the growth of the fat replacer market.
Fat replacers play an important role in the bakery & confectionery segment. Consumers in developed regions, such as, North America and Europe, have become increasingly conscious about leading a healthy lifestyle. This trend has led to the reduction of fat content in bakery and confectionery products, leading to the demand for fat replacers. Protein-based fat replacers are widely used in bakery and confectionery products. Thus, increased usage of protein-based fat replacers is expected to help the fat replacers market grow in the bakery & confectionery segment.
Factors, such as, change in consumer attitude toward health products and increase in adoption of low-fat and low-calorie content food to improve health drive the fat replacers market in Europe. This trend has been witnessed in France and United Kingdom. Carbohydrate-based fat replacers are highly used in food products in Europe, owing to their GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) status.
- July 2017 - Ulrick & Shorts launched a latest product Delyte 9 to its Delyte range is set to aid dessert manufacturers in the fight against fat.
- December 2016 - Ingredion Incorporated a leading global provider of ingredient solutions to diversified industries announced that it has entered into a stock purchase agreement to acquire all of the outstanding shares of TIC Gums Incorporated.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing outlook of the market with the recent trends and Porters five forces analysis
- Market dynamics, which essentially consider the factors, which are impelling the present market scenario, along with growth opportunities of the market in the years to come
- Market segmentation analysis, including qualitative & quantitative research incorporating the impact of economic & non-economic aspects
- Regional and Country level analysis integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market
- Competitive landscape involving the market share of major players, along with the key strategies adopted for development in the past five years
- Comprehensive company profiles covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel)
This report can be customized to meet your requirements.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Overview
2. Research Approach and Methodology
2.2 Research Design
2.3 Study Timelines
2.4 Study Phases
2.4.1 Secondary Research
2.4.2 Discussion Guide
2.4.3 Market Engineering & Econometric Modeling
2.4.4 Expert Validation
3. Market Insights
3.1 Market Trends
4. Market Dynamics
4.1.1 Increased Demand for a Low-calorie Diet
4.1.2 High prevalence rates of Obesity, blood Cholesterol Levels, and Coronary Heart Diseases (CHD)
4.2.1 Low Sensory (Taste) Acceptance
4.2.2 Consumer Awareness of the Possible Side-Effects
4.3.1 Development of New Consumer-Friendly Fat Replacers
4.3.2 Increasing Demand for Innovative Fat Replacers
4.4 Porters Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products & Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. Market Segmentation
5.1 By Source
5.2 By Application
5.2.1 Processed Meat
5.2.2 Bakery & Confectioneries
5.2.3 Food Additives
5.2.5 Convenience Foods
5.3 By Geography
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
6. Competitive Landscape
6.1 Most Adopted Market Strategies
6.2 Most Active Companies
6.3 Market Share Analysis
7. Company Profiles
7.1 Associated British Foods Plc.
7.4 Chr. Hansen
7.6 FMC Corporation
7.7 Ingredion Incorporated
7.8 Kerry Group
7.10 Royal DSM
7.11 Tate & Lyle Oat Ingredients
7.12 Ulrick & Shorts