Until it was overtaken by China in 2012, Japan used to be the world's second biggest cinema market. Somewhat hampered by high real estate costs which act to constrain cinema building, the market is nevertheless dynamic. Japanese film studios have stepped up investment to take advantage of reduced production in Hollywood to build market share for their own franchises. In another sign of confidence in the market, domestic exhibitors and leisure industry operators have bought out the foreign investors attracted by the multiplex boom.
This report tracks these and other recent developments, offering comprehensive statistics covering the market since 2000 plus forecasts for the next five years, with additional data covering exhibitor screen counts and market shares in film distribution.
- Aeon Cinemas
- United Cinemas
- Tokyu Recreation
List of Tables
- Japanese Cinema Market 2012-2017
- Releases and Box Office by Nationality of Film 2012-2017
- Top 20 Films 2017
- Leading Distributors 2016-2017
- Cinema Screens 2012-2017
- Leading Exhibitors March 2018
- Leading Exhibitors 2015-2018
- Toho Film Production, Distribution and Exhibition 2013-2018
- Japan Forecasts 2017-2022