Since 2004, the author has been measuring the size of the prepaid market in the United States. Early in 2016, the Canadian Prepaid Providers Organization (CPPO) asked the author to bring its benchmarking process to the Canadian open-loop prepaid market. Working with the CPPO and Canadian issuers, the author created the taxonomy shown in the exhibit below for measuring the Canadian open-loop prepaid market. This benchmark identifies opportunities, according to this research report, The Canadian Open-Loop Prepaid Market: 2017.
This taxonomy formed the basis of the survey that was sent to prepaid card issuers and program managers in Canada. Three categories define the market more broadly than does the U.S. benchmark, both because the Canadian market is different and smaller than the U.S. market and to facilitate confidential reporting. As this is the third year of benchmarking the Canadian market, the taxonomy will evolve as new categories become active and new information is made available from one year to the next.
"As in the United States, the future of Canadian prepaid depends on providers finding places where their cards can displace cash and checks, and where prepaid cards can become a means for distributing value more efficiently than other forms of payment. Typical growth has come from government agencies streamlining their disbursement process, and utilizing direct deposit on to a prepaid card for those individuals without a financial institution account. The same can be said for employers paying wages. These areas grew significantly in the U.S. once government insurance secured the funds," commented C. Sue Brown, Director, Prepaid Advisory Service.
Example of one of 9 exhibits included in this report:
Figure 2: Taxonomy of Canadian Prepaid Cards: 3 categories, 17 market segments.
- Consumer-Funded Cards
- General Purpose Reloadable (GPR)
- In-Store Gift Cards (RAN for Retail)
- Mall Gift Cards IRAN)
- Open-Loop Gift
- Remittance/Person-to-Person (P2P)
- Single-Load General Purpose
- Travel Cards
- Corporate-Funded Cards
- Consumer Incentives
- Corporate Purchasing
- Employment Benefits
- Employee & Partner Incentives
- Insurance Claims
- Payroll Cards
- Government-Funded Cards
- Federal Government Payment Cards
- Municipal Government Payments Cards
- Provincial Government Payments Cards
Highlights of the research include:
- The Canadian open-loop prepaid market has 11 segments out of a possible 17, which suggests that there is room for future growth in the market.
- In the "Consumer-Funded Cards" category, total loads onto cards in General Purpose Reloadable (GPR) market segment in 2017 amounted to CAD$2.0 billion.
- The "Corporate-Funded Cards" category includes the Consumer Incentives and Employee & P Incentives segments, whose small size (CAD$200 million) is in part a consequence of the fact that specialized knowledge is required to address the market’s unique requirements
- The "Government-Funded Cards" category is new in Canada but growing as more governments utilize the cost savings associated with issuing prepaid cards versus checks.
- The total market size for 2017 in dollars loaded onto open-loop prepaid cards is CAD$3.8 billion, an increase of 8.1% over 2016, which shows that the market overall continues to be healthy.
- Executive Summary
- Methodology: Measuring the Market While Maintaining Confidentiality
- The Benchmark Study: Conditions
- The Size of the Canadian Open-Loop Prepaid Market
- General Purpose Reloadable Cards
- The Open-Loop Gift Cards and RAN Gift Cards
- Additional Active Segments: Canadian Commercial Prepaid Market
- Conclusions: Canadian Market Has Room for Growth and New Segments
List of Figures
Figure 1: The author’s Taxonomy of U.S. Prepaid Cards: 11 categories, 25 market segments
Figure 2: The author’s Taxonomy of Canadian Prepaid Cards: 3 categories, 17 market segments
Figure 3: Why measuring load value on prepaid cards produces the best benchmark of the total market size
Figure 4: Eleven segments supply total loads onto Canadian open-loop prepaid cards, 2015-2017
Figure 5: The General Purpose Reloadable Cards segment of the Canadian open-loop prepaid market
Figure 6: The Open-Loop Gift Card and RAN Gift Card segments of the Canadian prepaid market
Figure 7: Average card load in the Corporate-Funded Cards category of Canadian open-loop prepaid market, 2017
Figure 8: Consumer Incentives and Employee & Partner Incentives segments of the Corporate-Funded Cards category of the Canadian open-loop prepaid market
Figure 9: Average card load in the incentives segments of the Canadian open-loop prepaid market, 2017