Effective internal and subsequently external audit compliance is a key fundamental in demonstrating effective governance within an organisation. Whilst most internal departments have a specific process work flow, procurement is often extremely difficult to effectively audit as their activities stem from a specific procurement strategy choice.
This advanced course is designed for both Auditors and Procurement practitioners and leads delegates through a systematic approach to enable validation of compliance from the procurement function, whose activities impact upon both upon every line of annual financial statements and upon overall corporate governance.
Uniquely, for procurement team delegates, emphasis is placed upon ensuring that procurement practitioners build an effective yet transparent procurement strategy underpinned by both policy, documentary evidence and audit trails, whilst for auditors the course provides insight into not only how to effectively audit the procurement function, but through knowledge enhancement increases audit sensitivity to potential red flag issues within the procurement function.
ACPC™ provides the understanding, framework, tools, and principles that allow organisations to build, embed and validate audit compliance and risk management within the Procurement function, thereby supporting overall corporate governance.
On completion of this five day training course you will receive your certificate which has been fully accredited by Qualifi, an official UK Government recognised awarding body.
By attending this interactive course you will be equipped with the skills to:
- Understand the Role of the Procurement Function within the Organisation.
- Assess the compliance level of your Procurement Function.
- Effectively Plan and Manage audit compliance.
- Effectively manage VAT impacts & ensure compliance within the supply base.
- Conduct objective and meaningful audits to underpin governance.
- Demonstrate robust governance and transparency to external agencies & customers.
- Effectively manage non compliant procurement risk & red flag scenarios
- Support your organisation’s Corporate Governance initiatives and policy.
5 DAY COURSE OUTLINE
Registration will be at 08:30 on day one with the course commencing promptly at 09:00am each day and concluding at 05:00pm. There will be two short breaks and an hour for lunch each day.
Understand The Role of Procurement
- Key drivers of Procurement strategy.
- The Strategic Procurement Roadmap.
- Roles and Responsibilities of the Function.
- Developing evidence based procurement.
- Linking Procurement activity to support Corporate Governance.
Understand The Role of Audit
- Key drivers of audit strategy.
- The Strategic audit roadmap.
- Conducting effective audits.
- Balancing operational and compliance needs.
- Triangulating Procurement, Audit & Corporate Governance.
Understand Procurement Risk
- The concept of risk.
- Financial risk.
- VAT introduction - overview and risk management.
- Operational risk.
- Market risk.
- Importing risk via the supply base.
- Root cause risk analysis.
- Managing & mitigating procurement risk.
Developing The Audit Approach - Pre-Tender
- Examining the supplier selection process.
- Ensuring VAT compliance - both pre-tender and for new
- Validating existing supplier listings.
- Supplier bid concentration.
- Examining tender pre-qualification focus (PQQ).
- Examining the tender (ITT).
- Spend analysis techniques.
- Supplier capability validation systems.
- Potential red flag issues.
- Demonstrating evidence based corporate governance.
Developing The Audit Approach - Supplier Selection
- Validating supplier capability.
- Validating supplier financial stability post VAT implementation.
- Supplier audit visit management.
- Examining supplier scoring systems.
- Managing conflicts of interest.
- Ensuring objectivity within the tender process.
- Potential red flag issues.
Developing The Audit Approach - Post Tender- Contracts And Supplier Management
- Key legal principles - avoiding contractual risk.
- Examining supplier performance management systems.
- Objective supplier relationship management.
- Developing supplier interaction policies.
- Managing Cross cultural supplier management audit issues.
- Potential red flag issues.
- Validating & ensuring ongoing Corporate Governance compliance.
Bringing Everything Together
- The psychology of audit.
- Effective audit report writing & process management.
- Effective engagement of audit committee.
- Developing continuous improvement initiatives together.
This Programme Will Include a Series of Group Exercises and Case Studies With a High Level of Delegate Interaction.
- Only those who successfully complete the examination and participate effectively in the course case studies will receive the Advanced Certificate in Procurement Compliance (ACPC)
Mr John Atkinson,
John’s corporate experience spans some 30 years including Head of Group & Global Procurement for Focus Wickes Plc. where he was responsible for the full creation and implementation of global sourcing initiatives, supplier/vendor management and commercial contract negotiation. John has also held senior roles within Barclays Bank corporate and led a wide and diverse range of teams, both locally and globally. John is a Fellow of the Institute of Occupational learning and a Certified Instructor in delivering emotional intelligence training.
John has wide international experience, including: Kuwait, Iraq, Qatar, KDR, China, Germany, France, Sweden, Malaysia & West Africa. Organisations that John has worked with include: KNPC, Petronas, Shell, Total, Lafarge, Nigeria LNG, The United Nations, Zain Corporation, Maybank & Sinopec. As a consultant and trainer for the last 11 years John is passionate about delivery, and utilises his career expertise to ensure that clients receive leading edge training results, enabling delegates to understand not only the subject matter, but also the application and usage to add value both to their role and within the wider organisational environment.
This highly practical and interactive course has been specifically designed for:
- Procurement Directors
- Corporate Governance teams
- Business Owners / Managing Directors
- Supplier Managers
- Supply Chain Consultants
- Buyers / Senior Buyers
- Operations Managers & Directors
- Finance Managers
- Heads of Governance & Compliance
- Executive Directors
- General Managers
- Divisional Heads
- Project Directors
- Audit team leaders
- Audit staff
- Project Leaders
- Team Leaders
- VAT Compliance Officers