Nongshim launched a premium instant noodle product, Jjawang, to tap into the South Korean market by targeting time-pressed consumers looking to have a quick, restaurant-style meal.
In South Korea, Nongshim has launched a premium instant noodle variety (Jjawang) that impressed consumers who were moving away from regular staple ramen options. The product recorded sales of KRW10bn ($8.7m) within one month of its launch, and KRW94bn ($83.1m) within eight months.
- Nongshim’s Jjawang was able to position itself as a luxurious and premium option among conventional instant noodle varieties.
- Standard ramen options, part of the staple diet in South Korea, is gradually being replaced by high quality instant noodle options which are comparable to restaurant-style dishes.
- Jjawang noodles, being quick to prepare, aligns with the specific needs of time-pressed consumers.
- Jjawang’s traditional black bean sauce flavor contributed to the success of the product.
- Nongshim successfully targeted consumers with television and online advertisements.
- Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.