- The views of 86 German patient groups
- Drawn from a November 2017 - February 2018 survey
German patient groups have traditionally been suspicious of pharma ...
The relationship between patient groups in Germany and the pharma industry is, in one way at least, more complex than in other countries. Because German people pay a significant proportion of their income towards their healthcare, German citizens-and the patient groups representing them-inevitably suspect for-profit healthcare companies of wishing to exploit the German model of funding national healthcare by charging ever higher prices for their products.
Evidence for such suspicion and distrust is readily seen in the fact that fewer patient groups in Germany maintain working partnerships with pharma than do patient groups from almost any other country.
- 52% of the 86 German patient groups responding to the 2017 PatientView survey on corporate reputation stated that they worked with at least one pharma company. The equivalent figure among the 1,330 respondent patient groups worldwide in 2017 was 61%.
However, in 2017, German patient groups began to take a more positive view of pharma
In all of the previous years that PatientView has been conducting its annual Corporate-Reputation survey, only a small proportion of the respondent German patient groups described the pharma industry’s corporate reputation as “Excellent” or “Good” (in comparison with the equivalent figures from patient groups worldwide). Therefore, the Germany-wide findings of the 2017 Corporate-Reputation survey are all the more significant.
- 39% of 2017’s respondent German patient groups stated that the pharma industry as a whole had an “Excellent” or “Good” reputation-the highest percentage ever attained from German patient groups [see chart 3]. The equivalent figure in 2017 among patient groups worldwide, though, was higher, at 43%.
What these mixed messages indicate ...
- Attitudes among German patient groups vary toward pharma. 2017’s respondent German cancer and multiple-sclerosis patient groups, in particular, gave the survey positive feedback on the integrity and transparency of the pharma industry. Yet the industry’s biggest critics in Germany remain patient groups specialising in mental health, in HIV/AIDS, or in general healthcare.
- Despite holding an overall more positive attitude towards pharma in 2017, German patient groups retain complex needs that must be addressed if pharma companies are to establish more (and better) relationships with these patient groups. Comments from respondent German patient groups show that the patient movement in Germany has a clear 'wish list', which pharma could adopt to improve its corporate reputation.
So, how did the companies perform at corporate reputation in 2017, in the viewpoints of German patient groups?
Ranking at corporate reputation in Germany is measured by German patient groups familiar with a company. In total, 19 companies were included in the 2017 Germany analyses.
Amgen and Janssen ranked overall 1st in 2017 for corporate reputation among German patient groups familiar with them. Amgen thus retained the number-one rank it achieved in 2016. Janssen's ranking jumped by six positions from 2016.
Patient-Group Relationships With Pharma, 2017
Industry-Wide Findings, 2017
Rankings Of The 19 Pharma Companies, 2017 V. 2016 Among German Patient Groups Familiar With The Companies
Positionings Of Six Pharma Companies, 2017 V. 2016 Among German Patient Groups That Work/Partner With The Companies
Profiles Of The 19 Companies, 2017
I. German Patient Groups: Views On Pharma; And Recommendations For Improvement
II. Profiles Of Respondent German Patient Groups, 2017
Tables and Charts
The Pharma Industry’S Corporate Reputation, 2012-2017 (According To German Patient Groups)
Companies Ranking 1St For Each Of The 12 Indicators, 2017 (According To German Patient Groups
The 12 Indicators Used To Measure Companies’ Corporate Reputation
Levels Of Familiarity Of German Patient Groups With The 15 Companies, 2017 (And Levels Of Types Of Relationships That German Patient Groups Have With Pharmaceutical Companies, 2017
The Corporate Reputation Of The Pharmaceutical Industry, 2017 V. 2016—Compared With
The Corporate Reputation Of The Pharmaceutical Industry, 2012-2017, According To German Patient Groups
Perceptions Of The Efficacy Of The Pharmaceutical Industry At Various Activities Of Importance To German Patient Groups, 2017 [Chart And Table]
Perceptions Of The Efficacy Of The Pharmaceutical Industries At Various Activities
According To German Patient Groups 2017 V. 2016 V. Patient Groups Worldwide 2017
German Patient Groups’ Views On Various Activities Of Pharma (2017), Compared With The Views Of Patient Groups From 18 Other Countries/Regions
Rankings Of Individual Pharma Companies, 2017 V. 2016 (According To German Patient Groups Familiar With The Company)
Positionings Of Individual Pharma Companies, 2017 V. 2016 (According To German Patient Groups That Work/Partner With The Company)
Profiles Of The 15 Companies, 2017
Charts And Tables For Each Of The 19 Companies:
- Number Of German Patient Groups Claiming Familiarity With The Company, 2017.
- Number Of German Patient Groups Saying That They Had A Working Relationship With The Company, 2017.
- Company Scores Among German Patient Groups Familiar With The Company, And Which Worked With The Company, For Each Of The 12 Indicators Of Corporate Reputation, 2017.
- Percentage Of The German Patient Groups That Worked With The Company, But Which Also Worked With Other Companies, 2017.
- Profile Of Respondent German Patient Groups Familiar, And Working, With The Company, 2017: Specialties; Geographic Remit; And Types Of Relationships.
- The Company Pcris (Patient Corporate Reputation Index) For Each Of The 12 Indicators—As Assessed By German Companies 2017 V. 2016 V. 2015
- Overall Rankings For The Company According To German Patient Groups Familiar With The Company, 2017.
- Overall Positionings For The Company According To German Patient Groups That Work With The Company, 2017.
- Company Rankings For Each Of The 12 Indicators According To German Patient Groups Familiar, Or Working, With The Company, 2017 V. 2016.
- The Company’S Net Promoter Score, 2017—As Assessed By German Patient Groups Working With The Company.