Since its first edition in 1988, this book has become the leading introductory textbook on clinical psychopathology. Now fully revised and updated, it is an invaluable reference for psychiatrists of all levels as well as clinical psychologists, allied mental health professionals and researchers in this field.
1. Fundamental Concepts of Descriptive Psychopathology 2.Eliciting the Symptoms of Mental Illness
Section Two: Consciousness and Cognition
3.Consciousness and Disturbed Consciousness 4. Attention, Concentration, Orientation and Sleep 5.Disturbance of Memory
Section Three: Awareness of Reality: Time, Perception and Judgement
6.Disorder of Time 7.Pathology of Perception 8. Delusions and Other Erroneous Ideas 9. Disorder of the Thinking Process 10.Disorder of Speech and Language 11. Insight
Section Four: Self and Body
12. The Disordered Self 13. Depersonalization 14. Disorder of the Awareness of the Body 15. The Psychopathology of Pain
Section Five: Emotions and Action
16. Affect and Emotional Disorders 17. Anxiety, Panic, Irritability, Phobia and Obsession 18. Disorders of Volition and Execution
Section Six: Variations of Human Nature
19. The Expression of Disordered Personality
Section Seven: Diagnosis
20. Psychopathology and Diagnosis
Femi Oyebode took over authoring Sim's Symptoms in the Mind from Andrew Sims for the 4th edition, and he is very well published aside from this. He is Professor and Head of Department of Psychiatry at the University of Birmingham. His research has considered descriptive psychopathology and delusional misidentification syndrome. He was awarded the 2016 Royal College of Psychiatrists lifetime achievement award.