This research is part of the Ingredients Insights series, which explores how brands and manufacturers can address key areas of health through reformulation. This report looks at the theme of energy and performance, highlighting how food and drink brands can address demand for more functional and targeted products that help fuel fitness and active lifestyles.
Fitness has become an important priority for many consumers, and this is evident in the growing number of gym memberships in many places, such as the US. Therefore, health and fitness are key purchase drivers across food and drink and sports nutrition brands must innovate and reformulate to address demand.
- 52% of global consumers often feel like they need an energy boost to get them through the day.
- 41% say that one of their main motivations for exercising is to support general health; 39% say they do so to look or feel good, while 38% this about losing weight or burning fat.
- 36% of global consumers prioritize "high-protein" claims when choosing food/drinks before exercising; 38% prioritize "hydrating" claims after exercise.
Reasons to Buy
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support ingredient innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the sports nutrition industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of on-trend ingredients that align with consumer interests and demands.
- Access valuable ingredient strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.
Table of Contents1. Introduction
2. Consumer Trends
3. Ingredients Spotlight
4. Innovation: How are Brands Meeting Demand for Energy and Performance?
5. The Future: Opportunities
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Blue Diamond
- Abakus Foods
- Burt's Bees
- The Protein Works
- Natural Nutrients