"Cigarettes in Kenya, 2018", is an analytical report that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Kenyan market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
The Kenyan cigarette market has seen a mixed performance since the beginning of the decade due to a combination of a flourishing non-duty paid sector, a lackluster performance of the country's economy, a series of tax/price hikes, political uncertainty, and controls on tobacco use in public. Sales have fallen back since 2014 and were 9,250 million pieces in 2016, with 8,575 million pieces forecast for 2017. Nevertheless, they were still 38.6% above 1990 levels in 2017. Per capita consumption is down by 32% between 1990 and 2017 at 180 pieces a year.
- The market is largely supplied by British American Tobacco Kenya, which dominates, and the privately owned Mastermind Tobacco.
- Filter cigarettes, king size formats, and Virginia blends dominate.
- The market is dominated by mid-priced brands, with Sportsman from BAT Kenya holding over half of the market volume.
- Low disposable income for the majority means that cigarettes are a luxury item. This has made smoking prevalence low and largely confined to men.
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
2. Market Size
3. Market Structure
4. Manufacturers & Brands
5. Taxation & Retail Prices
5.2. Retail Prices
6. The Smoking Population
7. Production & Trade
8. Operating constraints
8.1. Advertising Restrictions
8.2. Health Warnings
8.3. Other Restrictions
9. Company Profiles
10. Prospects & Forecasts
11.1. What is this Report About?
11.2. Time Frame
11.3. Product Category Coverage
11.5. About the Publisher
11.7. Contact Us
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2017
Table 2: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2017
Table 3: Market Breakdown by Blend, 2000-2005 & 2010, Percentage Share (%)
Table 4: Manufacturer Sales & Shares, 2000-2017, Million Pieces
Table 5: Manufacturer Sales & Shares, 2000-2017, Percentage Share (%)
Table 6: Sportsman: Market Share, 2008-2012
Table 7: Old Excise Duties, 2007-2010
Table 8: BAT Kenya: Retail Prices, 2010-2014
Table 9: Smoking Population, 1990-2017
Table 10: Cigarette Smoking Prevalence, Overall & Tobacco Use by Gender, (GATS 2014), Percentage Share (%)
Table 11: Current Tobacco use by Age and Gender, (GATS 2014), Percentage Share (%)
Table 12: Male Smoking Prevalence by Age, Region, Education & Income, 2003 & 2009, Percentage Share (%)
Table 13: Male Smoking Prevalence by Age, Region, Education & Income, 2003 & 2009, Percentage Share (%), Continued
Table 14: Men: Average Daily Cigarette Smoking by Age, Region, Education & Wealth, 2009
Table 15: Men: Average Daily Cigarette Smoking by Age, Region, Education & Wealth, 2009, Continued
Table 16: Cigarette Production, 1990-2016
Table 17: Cigarette Imports, 1990-2017
Table 18: Imports by Country of Origin, Million Pieces, 2007-2017
Table 19: Cigarette Exports, 1990-2017
Table 20: Exports by Country of Destination, Million Pieces, 2010 and 2013-2017
Table 21: Company profile: British American Tobacco Kenya Lt
Table 22: Company profile: Mastermind Tobacco Kenya Ltd
Table 23: Consumption Forecasts to 2027
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology
Figure 2: Global Data at a glance 50