This study offers a detailed overview of the biodiesel mandate in Malaysia and the steps taken by the Malaysian government to protect the Malaysian palm oil industry. Palm oil is a key ingredient in the biodiesel produced in Malaysia. Biodiesel is the main kind of biofuel used in the country. This research service gives an understanding of the factors leading to the B10 mandate in Malaysia. It analyses the strategically important factors, market trends, regulatory trends, and the impact of the same on the automotive sector.
Factors such as strong government support, excellent R&D facilities, a large number of plantation estates, low crude palm oil market price and a global commitment to use renewable and sustainable sources of energy are the key market drivers for the growth of the biofuel market. However, for sustained growth, the industry must overcome certain challenges and restraints such as the EU Renewable Energy Directive (RED) that restricts the import of palm oil from Malaysia from 2021, biodiesel chemical incompatibility with diesel engine, labor shortage at plantation estates, and inconsistencies in weather. In 2006 the Malaysian government launched the National Biofuel Policy (NBP) as an initiative to further spur the biofuel market.
This study includes an executive summary, introduction, strategically important factors, national biofuel policy, market overview, regulatory and legislative trends, impacts on the automotive sectors, industry scenario, timeline, current status and next steps, challenges, and the drivers and restraints that affect the biofuel market.
The base year for the study is 2017, with the forecast period being 2018 to 2020.
- To offer an elaborate and detailed overview of the biofuel mandate in Malaysia.
- To build a comprehensive picture of the biodiesel mandate in Malaysia, including how it was proposed, why it was proposed, and what is the ultimate objective of the policy.
- To highlight the main issues at hand including what is the industry feedback on the B10 mandate and how the government is handling the issue.
Key Issues Addressed
- What is the Malaysia Government stance in introducing alternative fuel from renewable sources?
- What is the reaction from the industry with regard to the Malaysia Biofuel Mandate?
- What is the impact (negative and positive) and the implication of introducing Biofuel Mandate to the market?
- Who are the beneficiaries of this policy and vice versa?
- What is the latest status of the policy and what is the interim solution for this mandate?
1. Executive Summary
- Key Findings
- Reasons for Implementation of Biodiesel Mandate
2. Research Scope, Objectives, Background, and Methodology
- Research Scope
- Research Aims and Objectives
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
- Research Background
- Research Methodology
- Key Participants Discussed in this Study
- Key Definitions
- Usage-Buildings, Industrial, and Automotive Applications
- Global Biodiesel Mandates
4. National Biofuel Policy
- National Biofuel Policy-Objectives
- National Biofuel Policy-Strategic Thrusts
- National Biofuel Policy-Implementation Plan
- Summary of Biofuel Legal Activities in Malaysia
- Biodiesel Mandate on Automotive Industry
- Biodiesel Mandate-Stakeholders’ Positions
5. Strategic Importance
- Crucial Need for the Implementation of the Biodiesel Mandate in Malaysia
- Strategic Importance-Cleaner Environment
- Strategic Importance-Economic Factors
- Strategic Importance-Market Demand Creation
- Strategic Importance-Enhancing Plant Capacity
6. Market Overview
- Palm Oil Plantation Area in Malaysia
- Malaysia Context-Biodiesel Production
- Malaysia Context-Biodiesel Export Trend
- Malaysia Context-Export Destinations
- Malaysia Context-Malaysia Biodiesel Refineries
- Malaysia Context-List of Biodiesel Companies
- ASEAN Context
7. Regulatory and Legislative Trends
- Regulatory Breakthrough
- Legislation Regulating the Malaysian Palm Oil Industry
- Legislative Process
8. Impact on the Automotive Sector
- Technical Impact-Engine Components
- Technical Impact-Fuel Injection Equipment (FIE)
- Tests Conducted by Government Agencies
- Results of Tests Conducted by Government Agencies and JAMA
- JAMA Position on B10 Biodiesel in Malaysia
- OEMs’ Stance on B10 Mandate
9. Industry Scenario
- Key Participants and Stakeholders
10 Timeline, Current Status, and Next Steps
- Chronology, Current Situation, and Future Scenario
11. Drivers and Restraints
- Market Drivers
- Drivers Explained
- Market Restraints
- Restraints Explained
12. Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
- Growth Opportunity-Opportunities for OEMs/Government Agencies
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
13. Key Conclusion and Future Outlook
- Key Conclusion and Future Outlook
- Legal Disclaimer
- Appendix-Standards for Biodiesel
- Table of Acronym
- List of Exhibits