A new research report titled 15th Annual U.S. Closed-Loop Prepaid Cards Market Forecasts, 2017–2021 provides an analysis and forecast of the growth and development of the U.S. prepaid cards industry through 2021. The report examines loads, growth potential, and market dynamics in the United States across all closed-loop prepaid segments.
This forecast report identifies key segments that will continue to decline over the next few years as well as those that should see growth. However, the economy, politics, and consumer behavior will all influence which segments grow and which decline.
This report reviews and forecasts load dollar volume for closed-loop segments. The forecast highlights the segments approaching market saturation as well as those that will continue to experience double-digit annual growth.
"Prepaid providers should be evaluating their businesses and looking for ways to diversify," commented the author of the report. “Opportunities in the prepaid market shift with economic, political, and regulatory changes. New technologies such as the internet of things (IoT) and new use cases for Campus, Transit, and Tolls may provide growth markets in the years to come.”
Highlights of the report include:
- The fastest-growing segments in 2017 were Prepaid Mobile Minutes and Data, Tolls, Campus, and Consumer Incentives.
- Tolls and Transit will be influenced by infrastructure spend as well as the cost of fuel (gas, diesel, natural gas).
- Closed-loop prepaid cards are commonly known as gift cards, incentive, or rewards cards and are purchased for gifting and/or self-use/budget control.
Business Time and Expense Category
- Closed-Loop Employee and Partner Incentive Cards
- Closed-Loop Consumer Incentive Cards
- Closed-Loop Campus Cards
Digital Content Category
In-Store Gift Card Category
- In-Store Gift Cards
- Store Credits/Returns
- Nutrition Assistance
- Prepaid Mobile Minutes and Data