Mobile network operators (MNOs) are under competitive and investor pressure to deploy 5G quickly, but the network technology options and use cases for 5G are more complex than for earlier generations of mobile networks. This report examines the challenges that MNOs will face when deploying 5G and presents a detailed analysis of the technology options that are available to MNOs to accommodate their business models and priorities. We also provide recommendations for senior management within mobile operators, including CFOs, CEOs and CTOs.
In this report, we answer the following questions.
- Why is 5G different than previous generations of networks?
- Which use cases are MNOs likely to focus on first to fulfil their market entry strategy?
- What options are available to MNOs for 5G deployment?
- Which technological challenges do MNOs face, and what should they consider as they plan their roll-out strategies?
- What makes each spectrum band distinct, and what are the challenges and opportunities with each?
Who Should Read this Report
- Network strategy executives or CTOs within mobile operators that want to understand the drivers and deployment trends of their peers.
- Business and product strategy executives in vendor companies that offer or develop 5G hardware and software.
- Investors in start-ups or listed companies that specialise in these technologies.
- Officials in open-source or standards organisations that focus on these technologies.
- Executive summary
- Analysis and recommendations
- 5G is different: why ‘taming’ 5G will be more difficult than previous generations
- NSA architecture implications: investment will be leveraged for SA
- Future network: challenges and opportunities for vendors and operators
- About the Author