The Report Includes:
- An introduction to the concept of citizen bioscience and a brief discussion of the citizen science ecosystem that has gained momentum in the developing world during the last decade
- Showcase of current projects from around the world and assessment of the potential of multiple sub-sectors to answer the question: Is Citizen Bioscience the Next Frontier?
- Information on some active citizen bioscience projects and initiatives which have been remarkably successful in advancing scientific knowledge, and contributions from citizen scientists around the world
- Discussion of an initiative called Citizen Data Science, and growth prospects for citizen data scientists in the healthcare industry
Chapter 1 Citizen Bioscience: The Next Frontier?
- Information Sources
- Analyst’s Credentials
- Related Reports
- What Is Citizen Bioscience
- Purpose of Citizen Bioscience
- The possibility of a Truly Evergreen Sector
- Anything Now? or Just Another Pipe Dream?
- Access for Co-operation Through Citizen Science (ARCS)
- Darwin’s Ark
- Go Viral Study
- Genographic Project
- Kinsey Reporter
- Stall Catchers
- Locations Where Global Citizen Bioscience Is Primarily Happening
- Where Are We Heading?
- Other Activities
- Moving Forward
List of Figures
Figure 1: Traditional Research Versus Citizen Science Research
Figure 2: Do-It-Yourself Bio-Safety Snapshot
Figure 3: Mark2Cure: Identifying Connections Between Diseases
Figure 4: Citizen Research at 23andMe
Figure 5: How Crohnology Works: A Blueprint for Data Collection and Management
Figure 6: Biohacking Across the World
Figure 7: Traits of a Citizen Data Scientist
The report provides an overview of Citizen Bioscience and a brief discussion of the citizen science ecosystem that has gained momentum in the developing world during the last decade. It showcases projects currently being done, as well as the potential of multiple sub-sectors.
As with any emerging sector, there are bound to be challenged. This report also looks at some of these difficulties, as well as the ways in which different people are handling them.
The objective of the report is to provide an overview of the Citizen Bioscience sector that will spur an interest in identifying and creating new opportunities.
The reason for developing this report is to explore how divergent and vast such a new and niche sector can be while showcasing the opportunities to be limitless.