"We expect MSPs to be one of the fastest-growing providers of ICT services"
Managed service providers (MSPs) have a large and rapidly expanding opportunity. The researcher expects MSPs to account for 11% of the USD2.8 trillion ICT market worldwide by 2023. This report forecasts nine different ICT service categories for MSPs, with more-granular detail on the three most important service categories for MSPs: IT and managed services, infrastructure and business applications.
This report forecasts the worldwide opportunity that is available to managed service providers (MSPs) and covers the key individual services and business segments that represent the largest opportunity for MSPs.
It highlights the rapid growth that we forecast for the MSP market between 2018 and 2023 as businesses increasingly move to ‘as- a-service’ models. MSPs will be one of the fastest-growing routes to market as more businesses seek MSP support in moving to the cloud.
This report quantifies the opportunity for MSPs in nine ICT categories and provides more-granular data on those categories that are the most significant opportunities for MSPs – infrastructure, IT and managed services, and business applications.
It is based on the following sources:
- the ICT Global Model
- a survey of 950 MSPs worldwide
- economic indicators
- vendor and supply-side indicators.
This report provides:
- forecasts for nine different high-level service categories from 2018–2023
- cloud and on-premises growth comparisons
- forecasts for spending across business sizes
- more-granular forecasts for the service categories that are most important to MSPs: IT and managed services, infrastructure and business applications.
Level 1 categories of managed ICT services and hardware
- Business applications
- IT and managed services
- Cyber security
- Devices and peripherals
- Web services
Who Should Read this Report
- MSPs that want to identify key areas for revenue growth, both in terms of business segments and individual services.
- Service providers that are looking to enter the managed ICT services market.
- Telecoms operators that are looking to enter the managed ICT services market.
7. Executive summary
8. Executive summary: MSPs’ revenue will grow at 12% CAGR between 2018 and 2023, driven by IT and managed services, business applications and infrastructure
9. Forecast results
10. MSPs will account for USD300 billion of business spending in 2023, which is around 11% of the total ICT market
11. IT and managed services, infrastructure and business applications account for over 75% of MSPs’ revenue and are expected to deliver strong growth
12. MSPs’ core target market is businesses with around 10–250 employees, but addressing businesses of all sizes offers growth opportunities
13. IT and managed services: this category accounts for most of MSPs’ revenue and 60% of this revenue comes from support and consulting services
14. Infrastructure is one of the largest and fastest-growing components of MSPs’ portfolios, driven by the growing demand for cloud server and networking services
15. Business applications revenue will increase at a CAGR of 18% between 2018 and 2023, driven by basic SaaS such as email and productivity suites
16. Forecast methodology and definitions
17. Our methodology: we use extensive primary research, along with vendor and macro insights to size and segment the market opportunity and outlook
18. Definitions: IT and managed services
19. Definitions: IT and managed services
20. Definitions: IT and managed services
21. Definitions: infrastructure
22. Definitions: infrastructure
23. Definitions: infrastructure
24. Definitions: infrastructure
25. Definitions: infrastructure
26. Definitions: infrastructure
27. About the author
List of Figures
Figure 1: Change in MSPs’ revenue by level 1 category, worldwide, 2018–2023
Figure 2: MSPs’ revenue by cloud and on-premises, worldwide, 2018–2023
Figure 3: MSPs’ revenue in 2018, and CAGR for revenue 2018–2023, by business size, worldwide
Figure 4: Business spending on ICT services in 2018 and CAGR 2018–2023, by channel, worldwide, 2018–2023
Figure 5: Total business spending on ICT services and MSPs’ share, worldwide, 2018–2023
Figure 6: MSPs’ revenue by level 1 category, worldwide, 2018–2023
Figure 7: MSPs’ revenue in 2018 and CAGR 2018–2023, by level 1 category, worldwide
Figure 8: MSPs’ revenue by business size, worldwide, 2018–2023
Figure 9: MSPs’ revenue and CAGR by level 1 category and business size, worldwide, 2018–2023
Figure 10: MSPs’ revenue from IT and managed services by aggregated level 3categories, worldwide, 2018–2023
Figure 11: MSPs’ revenue from infrastructure, cloud and on-premises,worldwide, 2018–2023
Figure 12: MSPs’ revenue from infrastructure services by level 3 category,worldwide, 2018–2023
Figure 13: MSPs’ revenue from business applications by level 2 category, worldwide, 2018–2023