Needle coke with merits of good orientation and excellent conductivity and thermal conductivity is mainly used in graphite electrodes for electric steelmaking and lithium battery anode materials.
Against the backdrop of environmental regulation and supply-side reform in China, electric steelmaking demand has soared since 2017, boosting the demand for needle coke for ultrahigh & high power graphite electrodes; also, the demand for lithium battery artificial graphite anode material keeps rising, all of which led to short supply of needle coke in the Chinese market. In particular, China’s dependence on imported quality needle coke has widened the gap. In 2018, China imported 220 kilotons of needle coke mainly from Japan, South Korea, UK and the United States, 29.4% more than in the previous year, among which 40% was for graphite electrodes and 60% for anode materials.
The supply and demand gap and strong demand from downstream markets have pushed up needle coke prices in China since 2017. By the end of 2018, raw needle coke prices ranged at RMB14,000-16,000/ton and burnt needle coke at RMB25,000-30,000/ton; imported needle coke for graphite electrode was priced at USD3,200-4,000/ton and that for anode material at USD1,200-2,000/ton. In the first half of 2019, prices of imported Phillips 66 needle cokes hiked, of which those for graphite electrodes and anode materials surged by 23.53% and 16.67%, respectively.
In China, typical petroleum-based needle coke companies include Jinzhou Petrochemical, Shandong Yida New Material, and Shandong Jingyang Technology; main coal-based needle coke players are Shanxi Hongte Coal Chemical, Anshan Open Carbon Thermal New Materials, Baowu Carbon, Qitaihe Baotailong Coal&Coal Chemicals Public and Fangda Xikemo (Jiangsu) Needle Coke Technology. A great number of companies at home and abroad have been allured by huge profits into the industry since 2017, as they do in 2019 when a few projects will be put into production, including Ansteel’s 40kt/a needle coke project, Pingdingshan Xuyang Xingyu New Materials Co., Ltd.’s 50kt/a needle coke project and Henan Kaitan New Materials Co., Ltd.’s 40kt/a needle coke project.
The report highlights the following:
- Global needle coke market (supply, demand, and competition)
- China needle coke market (development environment (including policy, technology, and trade), supply and demand, competitive pattern, price trend, and key projects)
- China graphite electrode market (supply and demand, competitive pattern, price trend, and needle coke demand)
- China lithium battery anode material market (supply and demand, competitive pattern, price trend, and needle coke demand)
- 7 global and 15 Chinese needle coke companies (operation, needle coke business, etc.).
1. Needle Coke
1.1 Product Introduction
1.2 Classification and Application
1.3 Industry Chain
2. Global Needle Coke Industry
2.2 Supply & Demand
2.3 Technical Status
2.4 Market Pattern
3. China Needle Coke Industry
3.1 Development Environment
3.1.1 Policy Environment
3.1.2 Technical Environment
3.1.3 Trade Environment
3.2 Supply & Demand
3.3 Market Pattern
3.5 Price Trend
4. China Graphite Electrode Industry
4.1 Supply & Demand
4.1.4 Import & Export
4.2 Competitive Landscape
4.2.1 Enterprise Competition
4.2.2 Regional Competition
4.3 Price Trend
4.4 Demand for Needle Coke
5. China Lithium-ion Battery Anode Materials Market
5.1 Supply & Demand
5.2 Competitive Landscape
5.2.1 Enterprise Competition
5.2.2 Regional Competition
5.3 Price Trend
5.4 Needle Coke Demand
6. Major Needle Coke Companies Worldwide
6.1 Phillips 66
6.1.3 Needle Coke Business
6.2.2 Needle Coke Business
6.3 Seadrift Coke
6.3.2 Needle Coke Business
6.4 Mitsubishi Chemical
6.4.3 Needle Coke Business
6.5 JX Holdings Inc
6.5.3 Needle Coke Business
6.6 Petrocokes Japan Limited
6.6.2 Needle Coke Business
6.7 Posco Chemtech
6.7.2 Needle Coke Business
7. Major Needle Coke Companies in China
7.1 Fangda Carbon New Material Technology Co, Ltd.
7.1.3 Revenue Structure
7.1.4 Needle Coke Business
7.2 Qitaihe Baotailong Coal&Coal Chemicals Public Co, Ltd.
7.2.3 Revenue Structure
7.2.4 Needle Coke Business
7.3 Shandong Yida New Material Co, Ltd.
7.3.2 Needle Coke Business
7.4 Anshan Kaitan
7.4.2 Needle Coke Business
7.5 Jinzhou Petrochemical Co, Ltd
7.5.2 Needle Coke Business
7.6 Shanghai Baosteel Chemical Co, Ltd.
7.6.2 Needle Coke Business
7.7 Shanxi Hongte Coal Chemical Industry Co, Ltd.
7.7.2 Needle Coke Business
7.8 Shandong Jingyang Technology Co, Ltd.
7.8.2 Needle Coke Business
7.9 Shanxi Jinzhou Chemical Industry Co, Ltd.
7.9.2 Needle Coke Business
7.10 Sinopec Shanghai Petrochemical Co, Ltd.
7.10.2 Needle Coke Business
7.11 Pingdingshan Xuyang Xingyu New Materials Co, Ltd.
7.11.2 Needle Coke Business
7.12 Henan Baoshun Fine Chemical Co, Ltd.
7.12.2 Needle Coke Business
7.13 TSDR New Energy Materials Co, Ltd.
7.13.2 Needle Coke Business
7.14 Shandong Weijiao Holdings Group Zaozhuang Zhenxing Carbon Material Technology Co, Ltd.
7.14.2 Needle Coke Business
7.15 Wuhai Baohua Wanchen Coal Chemical Co, Ltd.
7.15.2 Needle Coke Business
8. Summary and Forecast
- Anshan Kaitan
- Fangda Carbon New Material Technology Co, Ltd.
- Henan Baoshun Fine Chemical Co, Ltd.
- JX Holdings Inc
- Jinzhou Petrochemical Co, Ltd
- Mitsubishi Chemical
- Petrocokes Japan Limited
- Phillips 66
- Pingdingshan Xuyang Xingyu New Materials Co, Ltd.
- Posco Chemtech
- Qitaihe Baotailong Coal&Coal Chemicals Public Co, Ltd.
- Seadrift Coke
- Shandong Jingyang Technology Co, Ltd.
- Shandong Weijiao Holdings Group Zaozhuang Zhenxing Carbon Material Technology Co, Ltd.
- Shandong Yida New Material Co, Ltd.
- Shanghai Baosteel Chemical Co, Ltd.
- Shanxi Hongte Coal Chemical Industry Co, Ltd.
- Shanxi Jinzhou Chemical Industry Co, Ltd.
- Sinopec Shanghai Petrochemical Co, Ltd.
- TSDR New Energy Materials Co, Ltd.
- Wuhai Baohua Wanchen Coal Chemical Co, Ltd.