According to the author, most of the world’s traditional automobile brands have launched electric vehicles. In China, in addition to traditional automobile brands, some Internet companies have also begun to develop, produce and sell electric vehicles. The Chinese government has set lower barriers to entry in electric vehicle manufacturing than in fuel vehicle manufacturing, which allows more capital to the electric vehicle industry. As the structure of an electric vehicle is quite different from that of a fuel vehicle, the industry chain of electric vehicles also differs greatly from that of fuel vehicles. Li-ion power battery manufacturing and the manufacturing of other electric vehicle parts have become independent industries. Besides, the operating model of the electric vehicle charging pile industry is also different from that of the traditional gas station industry.
Since 2014, the Chinese central government has been promoting the hybrid plug-in electric vehicle as a key product. Its subsidies concerning hybrid plug-in electric vehicles and battery electric vehicles are both based on the capacity of power battery. In addition, some local governments give a free license plate that is worth at most USD 10,000 or grant subsidies to each electric vehicle buyer. Thanks to these supportive policies, China's electric vehicle industry has been developing rapidly in recent years.
According to the author, in 2018, the global sales volume of electric vehicles (new energy vehicles) was about 2.02 million units, accounting for about 2.30% of the global automobile sales. In China, the sales volume of electric vehicles reached about 1,256,000 units, accounting for 4.50% of automobile sales. China has become the world’s largest electric vehicle market. By the sales volume of new energy vehicles, in 2018, Tesla ranked the first on the global market, followed by Chinese automakers BYD Auto Co., Ltd. that sold 227,364 new energy vehicles and Beijing Electric Vehicle Co., Ltd. The global rankings of electric vehicle manufacturers also included five Chinese automakers with self-developed brands, which took up a market share of 49%.
Considering the prices of electricity and refined oil products in China, it costs much less to drive a battery electric vehicle than to drive a fuel vehicle. However, the development of battery electric vehicles is restricted by a short driving range, expensive batteries, and insufficient charging stations. The plug-in hybrid electric vehicle popular in recent years is a new-type hybrid electric vehicle. It can be powered by a rechargeable battery. When the battery runs out, it can be powered by the internal combustion engine. The plug-in hybrid electric vehicle is superior to the battery electric vehicle in both endurance and practicability. However, Chinese consumers do not care much about endurance because they mostly drive electric vehicles in cities. Moreover, the Chinese government gives higher subsidies to the buyers of battery electric vehicles. Therefore, battery electric vehicles dominate China's electric vehicle market.
To reduce air pollution and enhance the competitiveness of domestic automakers, the Chinese government set the target of bringing the sales volume of electric vehicles to 7 million units, or at least one-fifth of the automobile sales in China by 2025. It is expected that the Chinese government will continue to directly subsidize the electric vehicle industry from 2019 to 2023, but the average subsidy amount will decrease and the subsidies will cover fewer vehicle models. In 2018, the central government canceled the subsidies for electric vehicles with a driving range below 150 kilometers. But as many Chinese cities restrict the purchase and passage of fuel vehicles and the use of electric vehicles costs less, from 2019 to 2023, the CAGRs of electric vehicle production and sales in China are expected to stay above 30%, far exceeding those of automobile production and sales.
- Development environment for electric vehicles
- Industry chain of electric vehicles
- The Chinese government's supportive policies on the electric vehicle industry
- Annual and monthly production and sales volumes of electric vehicles in China
- Status of China's charging pile industry
- Status of China's Li-ion power battery industry
- Major electric vehicle manufacturers in China
- Competition on China's electric vehicle market
- Driving forces and market opportunities for the development of the electric vehicle industry
- Threats and challenges to the development of the electric vehicle industry
- Forecast on the supply of and demand for electric vehicles on global and Chinese markets from 2019 to 2023
1 Basic Concepts of Electric Vehicles
1.1 Definition and Classification of Electric Vehicles
1.2 Industry Chain of Electric Vehicles
1.2.1 Constitution of Industry Chain of Electric Vehicles
1.2.2 Parts of Electric Vehicles
1.2.3 Suppliers of Electric Vehicles
1.3 Business Model of the Electric Vehicle Industry
2 Analysis on Global Electric Vehicle Industry, 2014-2018
2.1 Development Environment
2.1.1 Economic Environment
2.1.2 Policy Environment
2.2 Global Supply of Electric Vehicles
2.3 Global Demand for Electric Vehicles
3 Analysis on China's Electric Vehicle Industry, 2014-2018
3.1 Development Environment
3.1.1 Economic Environment
3.1.2 Policy Environment
3.1.3 Catalog of Vehicle Models Recommended for the Promotion and Application of New Energy Vehicles
3.1.4 Status of China's Charging Pile Industry
3.1.5 Status of China's Li-ion Power Battery Industry
3.2 Supply of Electric Vehicles in China
3.2.1 Overall Production
3.2.2 Production by Market Segment
3.3 Demand for Electric Vehicles in China
3.3.1 Overall Demand
3.3.2 Demand by Market Segment
4 Analysis on China's Market of Electric Passenger Vehicles, 2018-2019
4.1 Market of Battery Electric Passenger Vehicles
4.1.1 Production of Battery Electric Passenger Vehicles
4.1.2 Demand for Battery Electric Passenger Vehicles
4.2 Market of Plug-in Hybrid Electric Passenger Vehicles
4.2.1 Production of Plug-in Hybrid Electric Passenger Vehicles
4.2.2 Demand for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Passenger Vehicles
5 Analysis on China's Market of Electric Commercial Vehicles, 2018-2019
5.1 Market of Battery Electric Commercial Vehicles
5.1.1 Production of Battery Electric Commercial Vehicles
5.1.2 Demand for Battery Electric Commercial Vehicles
5.2 Market of Plug-in Hybrid Electric Commercial Vehicles
5.2.1 Production of Plug-in Hybrid Electric Commercial Vehicles
5.2.2 Demand for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Commercial Vehicles
6 Major Electric Vehicle Manufacturers in the World, 2018-2019
6.2 BYD Auto Co., Ltd.
6.3 Beijing Electric Vehicle Co., Ltd.
6.7 Mitsubishi Motors
6.11 SAIC Motor Passenger Vehicle Company
6.12 Chery Automobile Co., Ltd.
6.13 Anhui Jianghuai Automobile Group Corp., Ltd.
6.14 Zhejiang Geely Holding Group
6.15 Hawtai Motor Group
6.17 Zotye Automobile Co., Ltd.
6.18 BAIC Motor Corporation Ltd.
6.19 Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
6.20 SAIC-GM-Wuling Automobile Co., Ltd.
6.21 BMW Brilliance Automotive Ltd.
6.22 GAC New Energy Automobile Co., Ltd.
6.23 Zhidou Electric Vehicle Co., Ltd.
6.24 Haima Automobile Group Co., Ltd.
6.25 Linktour Motors Co., Ltd.
6.26 Great Wall Motor Company Limited
6.27 SAIC General Motors Corporation Limited
6.28 Kandi Electric Vehicles Group Co., Ltd.
7 Prospect of Global and China's Electric Vehicle Industries, 2019-2023
7.1 Factors Influencing Development of the Electric Vehicle Industry
7.1.1 Driving Forces and Market Opportunities
7.1.2 Threats and Challenges
7.2 Forecast on Development of Global and China's Electric Vehicle Industries, 2019-2023
7.3 Forecast on Supply of Electric Vehicles on Global and Chinese Markets, 2019-2023
7.4 Forecast on Demand for Electric Vehicles on Global and Chinese Markets, 2019-2023
List of Figures
- Chart Industry Chain of Electric Vehicles
- Chart Classification of Raw Materials for Electric Vehicles
- Chart Classification of Parts of Electric Vehicles
- Chart Supportive Policies of Governments on Electric Vehicle Industry, 2017-2019
- Chart Global Production Volume of Electric Vehicles, 2014-2023
- Chart Global Sales Volume of Electric Vehicles, 2014-2023
- Chart Production Volume of Electric Vehicles in China, 2014-2018
- Chart Sales Volume of Electric Vehicles in China, 2014-2018
- Chart Constitution of Sales Volume of Electric Vehicles in China in 2018
- Chart Policies Issued by China's Central Government on the Electric Vehicle Industry
- Chart Policies Issued by China's Local Governments on the Electric Vehicle Industry
- Chart Quantity of Electric Vehicle Charging Piles in China, 2012-2021
- Chart Structure of China's Electric Vehicle Charging Pile Market by 2019Q2
- Chart Construction Progress of Electric Vehicle Charging Piles in China by 2019Q2
- Chart Monthly Production Volume of Battery Electric Passenger Vehicles in China, 2014-2019
- Chart Monthly Production Volume of Plug-in Hybrid Electric Passenger Vehicles in China, 2014-2019
- Chart Monthly Production Volume of Battery Electric Commercial Vehicles in China, 2014-2019
- Chart Monthly Production Volume of Plug-in Hybrid Electric Commercial Vehicles in China, 2014-2019
- Chart China's First Demonstration Cities for Promoting New Energy Vehicles
- Chart Rankings of Electric Vehicle Manufacturers in China in 2018 (by Sales Volume)
- Chart Sales Volume of Passenger Vehicles by BYD Auto, 2014-2018
- Chart Sales Volume of Passenger Vehicles by Geely Auto, 2014-2018
- Chart Forecast on Sales Volume of Electric Vehicles in China, 2019-2023
- Anhui Jianghuai Automobile Group Corp., Ltd.
- BAIC Motor Corporation Ltd.
- Beijing Electric Vehicle Co., Ltd.
- BMW Brilliance Automotive Ltd.
- BYD Auto Co., Ltd.
- Chery Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- GAC New Energy Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Great Wall Motor Company Limited
- Haima Automobile Group Co., Ltd.
- Hawtai Motor Group
- Kandi Electric Vehicles Group Co., Ltd.
- Linktour Motors Co., Ltd.
- Mitsubishi Motors
- SAIC General Motors Corporation Limited
- SAIC Motor Passenger Vehicle Company
- SAIC-GM-Wuling Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Zhejiang Geely Holding Group
- Zhidou Electric Vehicle Co., Ltd.
- Zotye Automobile Co., Ltd.
Background research defines the range of products and industries, which proposes the key points of the research. Proper classification will help clients understand the industry and products in the report.
Secondhand material research is a necessary way to push the project into fast progress. The analyst always chooses the data source carefully. Most secondhand data they quote is sourced from an authority in a specific industry or public data source from governments, industrial associations, etc. For some new or niche fields, they also "double-check" data sources and logics before they show them to clients.
Primary research is the key to solve questions, which largely influence the research outputs. The analyst may use methods like mathematics, logical reasoning, scenario thinking, to confirm key data and make the data credible.
The data model is an important analysis method. Calculating through data models with different factors weights can guarantee the outputs objective.
The analyst optimizes the following methods and steps in executing research projects and also forms many special information gathering and processing methods.
1. Analyze the life cycle of the industry to understand the development phase and space.
2. Grasp the key indexes evaluating the market to position clients in the market and formulate development plans
3. Economic, political, social and cultural factors
4. Competitors like a mirror that reflects the overall market and also market differences.
5. Inside and outside the industry, upstream and downstream of the industry chain, show inner competitions
6. Proper estimation of the future is good guidance for strategic planning.