Magnesium is the second most essential mineral and functions as a cofactor in more than 300 enzyme reactions that regulate various biochemical functions, including muscle and nerve contractions, blood glucose and blood pressure control, and protein synthesis, among others. The mineral is not only essential for maintaining healthy bone and joint health but is significant importance for maintaining heart and cognitive health.
The mineral is available in various forms; however, citrates, lactates, and chelates are the primary forms used in dietary supplements. Other forms that have gained a level of interest in supplements space due to their improved availability include aspartates and chlorides.
Dietary magnesium can be obtained from green leafy vegetables, nuts, legumes, whole grains, fruits, and fish. Bottled, tap or mineral-fortified water is also used as a source of magnesium. Commercially, magnesium is produced through electrolysis of brine and seawater. However, the development of innovative and cost-effective production technologies remains a primary focus of manufacturers active in this space.
Clinically, magnesium has been shown to reduce the risk of heart diseases, lower blood pressure, and increase bone mass accrual rates. Despite being an essential mineral, magnesium has received much less attention. However, the increased awareness of the health benefits of magnesium supplements and the growth in clinical research activities are expected to propel the demand for magnesium supplements during the forecast period.
Geographically, Asia-Pacific and other developing economies are expected to witness considerable growth over the forecast period, primarily due to faster growth in the older population and improved economic conditions in the regions. North America is also expected to witness strong growth due to the higher demand for magnesium supplements. Magnesium ingredient is also expected to gain from the negative publicity surrounding calcium supplements. There is an increased interest among the manufacturers to develop mineral supplements with a higher concentration of magnesium rather than calcium, as magnesium has been shown to improve the absorption of calcium. Europe, which is the largest market for magnesium ingredient is expected to witness relatively slow growth because of the level of saturation and maturity of the ingredient category. However, innovation and clinical studies substantiating the role of magnesium in various indications could potentially increase the market penetration rate.
The value chain of magnesium ingredients is fragmented with the presence of mining companies, derivative manufacturers and premixers. Innovation pertaining to the development of highly bioavailable and soluble forms of magnesium salts remain one of the key strategies of manufacturers.
1. Executive Summary
- Key Findings
2. Market Overview
- Study Scope
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
- Market Overview
- Impact Analysis of Growth Levers and Challenges
- Market Growth Levers Explained
- Market Challenges Explained
3. Forecast and Trends - Magnesium Ingredients for Dietary Food Supplements
- Growth Opportunity Dashboard
- Retail Market Revenue Forecast
- Ingredient Market Revenue Forecast
- Retail and Ingredient Market Revenue Forecast Discussion
- Ingredient Market Revenue Forecast by Region
- Ingredient Market Revenue Forecast by Region Discussion
- Competitive Landscape
- Competitive Analysis of Key Industry Participants
4. Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
- Growth Opportunity Overview
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
5. The Last Word
- The Last Word - 3 Big Predictions
- Legal Disclaimer
- Global Magnesium Ingredients in Dietary Supplements Market Participants
- List of Magnesium Ingredient Clinical Studies and Scientific Research
- Abbreviations and Acronyms Used
- List of Exhibits