The release of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services' care coordination toolkit provides further evidence that care coordination is an integral part of the current healthcare delivery landscape. Whether part of the primary care office, emergency department or health plan, care coordinators are having a positive impact on both the clinical and financial outcomes for healthcare organizations.
2019 Healthcare Benchmarks: Care Coordination is a comprehensive analysis by the Healthcare Intelligence Network of care coordination settings, strategies, targeted populations, supporting technologies, results and ROI, based on responses from over 75 healthcare organizations to the May 2019 Care Coordination survey.
This 40-page report assembles hundreds of metrics on care coordination, as implemented by hospitals, health systems, health plans, disease management, case management and other organization types.
Breaking down findings by high-responding industry sectors, this report includes the following data points:
- Status of current and planned care coordination programs to improve healthcare delivery and outcomes and enhance the patient experience;
- Settings in which care coordination occurs;
- Approaches built into care coordination efforts, from team-based care to medication management;
- Common care coordination activities, including plans of care, home visits, community resource links and many others;
- The most effective care coordination activity;
- Members and responsibilities of the care coordination team;
- Health professional with primary care coordination responsibility;
- Populations targeted for care coordination;
- Clinical conditions targeted for care coordination;
- The most challenging conditions for which to coordinate care;
- Tools to identify and risk-stratify individuals for care coordination;
- Frequency of patient visits for care coordination;
- Modes of care coordination (e.g. face-to-face, telephonic, virtual, etc.);
- Care coordination team communication channels;
- Average monthly caseloads for care coordinators;
- Health technology devices connected to care coordination programs;
- Reimbursement trends for care coordination, including a look at prevalence and payment structure;
- Most significant challenges of care coordination;
- Most effective care coordination tools, workflows and protocols;
- Greatest successes achieved by care coordination programs;
- Care coordination impact on clinical outcomes, quality of care, patient and provider engagement, value-based reimbursement and other key healthcare metrics;
- ROI from care coordination;
- Leading edge technologies that will drive improvements in care coordination;
- The complete May 2019 Care Coordination survey tool;
and much more.
This benchmark report is designed to meet business and planning needs of health plans, hospitals, health systems, physician organizations, population health management, case management, managed care organizations, and others by providing critical care coordination benchmarks.