Starbucks, one of the world’s most popular coffee chains, launched Starbucks Mobile Wallet (or Starbucks Mobile App) in September 2009, enabling users to make in-store payments at Starbucks outlets on a closed-loop basis. Users can make payments by scanning the barcode on their wallet at merchant outlets; the amount is deducted from the wallet balance.
The solution was initially launched in select locations and to select users in the US. It is now available across a host of different markets. In the US alone, by the end of 2018 Starbucks had amassed over 23 million users who had made an in-store mobile payment within the previous six months.
The company introduced the Mobile Order & Pay feature to its app in December 2014, enabling users to order and pay for purchases ahead of their visit to the store. This accounted for 15% of all of its US transactions in Q2 2019. The company is focusing on expanding Mobile Order & Pay to all Starbucks Mobile Wallet markets. In June 2019 the company began rolling out this service in major Chinese cities.
The report provides information and insights into Starbucks Mobile Wallet including -
- Detailed insight into its business
- Comprehensive coverage of its products and services
- Comparative assessment with key alternative payment solutions
- The company's important events and milestones
- In September 2009, Starbucks introduced Starbucks Card Mobile App for US Starbucks customers, enabling them to pay using iPhone and iPod touch devices.
- In December 2014, introduced Mobile Order & Pay, allowing users to place orders in advance and pick them up at their preferred Starbucks store.
- Mobile Order & Pay allows customers to place and pay for orders in advance of their visit and pick them up at their preferred Starbucks location.
- In November 2018, launched in Vietnam.
Reasons to Buy
- Gain insights into Starbucks Mobile Wallet' business operations and key events.
- Gain insights into its product portfolio.
- Assess the competitive dynamics in the alternative payments industry by comparing its performance against competitors.
Table of Contents
- Key Milestones
- Performance Highlights
- Products & Services
- Significant Events
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Starbucks Mobile Wallet
- Google Pay
- Samsung Pay
- Apple Pay