- Bancontact Payconiq Company.
Domestic Payment Brands
- Bancontact debit cards, mostly co-badged Maestro.
- Payconiq, the Belgian mobile payment app operator.
- In March 2018, the domestic card scheme Bancontact merged with the mobile payment app operator, Payconiq.
- From 2011, most Belgian banks restrict the use of the Maestro function on Bancontact cards to Europe (geo-blocking).
- Debit cards dominate the market, accounting for 86.6% of card payments in 2017. Credit card use is under-developed.
- KBC Bank Group has developed a substantial retail banking network in the CEE region, but made divestments in 2011-13.
- Belfius Bank (previously Dexia Bank) is state-owned.
- Emerging Open Banking ecosystem.
Notable Market Trends
- Contactless Bancontact rollout, mobile HCE NFC Bancontact app, Payconiq, Mybank, MasterPass, HCE NFC payments.
Statistical Key Figures for 2017 provided in this profile:
- UPDATED: tables with card business data 2013-2017; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
- Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
- Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
- Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
- ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
- ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
- POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
- Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
- Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
- Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
- Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details