This 2 day training program is designed to provide delegates with practical knowledge about the key concepts, systems, processes and procedures in international securities settlement and custodial services as well as operational risks involved.
You will have a chance to gain skills necessary to facilitate day-to-day transactions and communication processes between all parties involved as well as all stages about clearing and settlement process, the role of exchanges and clearing houses, functioning of the settlements department, role of payments in the settlements.
Day two focuses on the role and functioning of global custody, services provided, derivatives settlements, corporate actions and risk management. You will also learn about the latest sector's trends and changes.
You will also learn about the impact of the MiFID and Target 2 Securities initiatives on the market.
The course is conducted by senior experts with many years of international experience and includes many international case studies and exercises.
Main Topics Covered:
- Securities settlement - exploring key concepts and market context
- The relationship between exchanges and clearing houses
- Trade cycle stages
- Understanding the role of a settlement department
- The role of payment systems in securities settlements
- Settlement process including pre-settlement, settlement and reconciliation processes
- European switch to T2S (TARGET 2 Securities) settlement system
- Timing in cash management and Forex exchange
- The role and operations of CLS
- Global custody and derivatives clearing
- Core and value added services in global custody
- Identifying and managing risks in clearing, global custody and settlement
- The impact of 'Corporate actions ' in custody services
- Key legal issues
- MiFID Directive
- Exploring industry trends
What Will You Learn:
- Practical understanding of international securities settlement processes and custodial services, key players and concepts and relationships between them
- A clear understanding of the operational risks involved in these two services
- An update on recent developments of international securities settlement and custodial services including Target 2 Settlements and MiFID
- An understanding and appreciation of the communication processes between all the parties involved in a given transaction
Introduction to the clearing and settlement process
Exchanges and clearing houses
Settlements - The role of the settlements department
The role of payment systems in securities settlements
CLS – its purpose, role and operation
Global custody – core services
Global custody – value added services
Custody services “corporate actions”
Identifying and managing risks
Market in Financial Instruments Directive (MiFID)
Over his career Richard was involved in International Trade Finance, Cross Border Payments and Settlements, Operational Risk, AML and Corporate Governance amongst others.
He has spent extensive time servicing a diversity of financial institutional clients in many countries including: UK, Ireland, China, Singapore, Hong Kong, Philippines, Korea, Malawi, Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa, Poland, Sweden, Netherlands, Greece, Norway, Bermuda and across North America.
Clients that Richard has trained & consulted to include: JP Morgan, Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank, Qatar Exchange, Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, Central Bank of Egypt, Irish Gas, UBS, Central Bank of Ireland, Central Bank of Norway, Merrill Lynch, PGGM, BP, Asian Development Bank, African Development Bank, Instinet, Fundtech, European Central Bank, Brunei Investment Agency, British Steel Pension Fund, Salesforce and Tullet Prebon amongst others.
Professionals from Custodial and Investment Banks, Exchanges, Hedge Funds, Pension Funds and Endowments and other institutional investors from the following departments:
- Custody Services
- Transactions & Processing
- Risk Management
- Credit Risk
- Customer Relationship
Venue to be announced shortly.