This report provides analysis of traveler types and key market trends which are contributing to a key segment within tourism currently - culinary tourism. Major and upcoming destinations are assessed, along with an analysis of key trends to provide valuable insight. Challenges along with opportunities in the industry are explained in relation to industry examples.
Culinary tourism refers to trips in which the exploration of local gastronomy plays a central role in the overall traveling experience. Whereas some people travel deliberately for culinary purposes, others are considered opportunistic culinary travelers, since food and beverage experiences are not considered the main purpose of their trip.
Culinary and gastro tourism have been terms floating around in travel articles for decades but the term ‘food tourism’ has been preferred by some in recent years to include every type of cuisine and traveler and avoid the risk of sounding pretentious. Cooking classes, special occasion meals, and trying new delicacies can all be a part of food tourism. Drinks are included in the definition too, so countries famed for their beer and wines have been able to attract travelers with their offerings.
Total outbound tourist expenditure in the foodservice segment totaled $210bn in 2018 while domestic travelers spent $664.7bn. By 2022, these values are forecasted to reach $269.3bn and $812bn respectively so there is much to gain from getting involved.
- The Tourism Insights Report "Key Trends in Culinary Tourism", looks at the key trends & issues within the culinary tourism segment, as well as the opportunities and threats.
- It also offers an insight into key destinations, traveler groups, and into the strategies of destinations looking to attract gastro tourists.
Reasons to Buy
- Gain an insight into the culinary tourism segment
- Understand the key traveler types within this segment and how they are attracted by different destinations
- Look at the key destinations and why they appeal
- Gain a detailed understanding of the key trends, issues and challenges facing the gastro tourism space
Table of Contents
- Traveler Types
- Key Market Trends
- Cooking Classes
- Wine and Beer Tourism
- Street Food
- Luxury Restaurants
- Themed Restaurants
- Key Destinations
- Challenges and Opportunities
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Hotel Chocolat
- The Dorchester
- Tim Horton's